Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Sidearm for Michigan deer hunting?

Hi gang,

About to take to the woods again next week and wondered how many of you bring a sidearm with you to the deer blind? If so, what is it?

I hear everything from .22 to shoot random loud squirrels or .44 mag to maybe take a deer at close range.

MGO Member
    If you "shoot random loud squirrels" you don't stand much chance of seeing any deer.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    If you "shoot random loud squirrels" you don't stand much chance of seeing any deer.
    That’s my take on it too, but I heard a guy say that none the less. I would think maybe .357 with a 4” or larger barrel might be nice. Then how to carry? I’ve been eyeballing a chest rig. Hard to drop $150 right now though.

I am a Forum User
    Desert eagle should do ya

Quote Originally Posted by yndotguy View Post
    Hi gang,

About to take to the woods again next week and wondered how many of you bring a sidearm with you to the deer blind? If so, what is it?

I hear everything from .22 to shoot random loud squirrels or .44 mag to maybe take a deer at close range.
    45lc in a leather belt holster ... SA Army or clone. I carry my El Patron 1873 w/5.5" barrel. A 250gr 45lc is plenty to take down anything in Mi including the 2 footed varmits if it comes to that. I hunt with a 45lc rifle too -- wife thinks it must make me feel like an old frontier hunter!

MGO Member
    In addition to my rifle or shotgun I usually carry a sidearm on its own belt on top of my coveralls. For years it was my Colt Python with a 4 inch barrel. Lately I carry a full size 1911 in a drop leg holster which gets it out of the way when sitting in a blind.

Good luck to everyone this deer season and be safe out there.
    Last edited by tvhero; 11-13-2020 at 01:54 AM.

MGO Member
    Purchased Ruger match champion in 10 mm.I shoot underwood ammo 220 gr.hard cast

I am a Forum User
    Dear yndotguy:

I have a constructed blind complete with wood stove that I hunt out of on my hunting camp every year.

on the side of a hill with about 270 degrees open space field of fire. open for about 150 yards and then forms a light forest, most of it is downhill. Deer appear everywhere except directly behind me because the blind is built in a hill.

A couple times the deer have appeared to my right all of a sudden and I have taken them with my sidearm.

When hunting out of my blind I usually use my Ruger 44 mag redhawk revolver with a ultra dot red dot. 240 gn jacketed hollow point knocks em down good.

I also like to go stalking as well and in that situation, the Ruger is way too heavy. When I am stalking, I usually have a lightweight carbine (ruger 44 mag carbine or winchester model 94 trapper 30-30), my sidearm of choice is a Taurus 357 mag titanium trapper (7 shot). I carry it in the pocket of my parka although I cannot say that I have ever used the pistol when stalking, always manage to get the rifle around when a deer is sighted.

Regards,
    Crankster

MGO Member
    I carry a ruger superblackhawk 7.5" .44mag in a galco belt holster. I've shot deer with it, but I mostly use my .44 lever action now

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by yndotguy View Post
    Hi gang,

I just carry my everyday-carry 9mm but put it in a pocket holster as an IWB holster doesn't work good with my hunting clothing.

I don't carry it for any hunting duties as my rifle or shotgun is plenty up to that task, it is there for the times that my hunting gun is unloaded and locked in my truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast