Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Scope for Remington 510 Targetmaster .22

I have decided to get a scope for my old (1942) Targetmaster 510. The gun shoots great and has Lyman peep sights that my old eyes can’t use to effectively anymore. Not looking to break the bank and want something with a good amount of magnification. I would like to be able to shoot out to 100 yards. I toyed with the idea of trying to get one from the time period but figured it would be more than I want to spend and not work as well (I could be wrong?).
    I also need a recommendation for someone to be able to mount it since that is way beyond my capabilities.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ahh, I grew up plinking with a old Rem 510, it was the 1st “real” gun I shot.
    Dad had an old fixed 4x of some off brand he probably picked up at K Mart on his. The rifle was very accurate and could have only been improved by a better trigger. We kids shot boxes of empty shot shells off the posts on a 100 yd range he liked to frequent, but if scoping it today I’d wager he would look at something like this. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...ex_reticle=978
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    Ahh, I grew up plinking with a old Rem 510, it was the 1st “real” gun I shot.
    Dad had an old fixed 4x of some off brand he probably picked up at K Mart on his. The rifle was very accurate and could have only been improved by a better trigger. We kids shot boxes of empty shot shells off the posts on a 100 yd range he liked to frequent, but if scoping it today I’d wager he would look at something like this. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...ex_reticle=978
    Thanks for the reply and that looks like a great option. Yea first real gun for me as well. My dad shot with it in high school rifle competition back in the day. I don’t know if he did anything to the trigger but it’s pretty darn good. If my eyes were a little better I would stay with the Lyman sights.
    Can you recommend a place to have it mounted? Will have to be drilled and tapped.

MGO Member
    Follow these instructions found at Rimfire Central. Clean the receiver with alcohol and rough the bottom of the Weaver 48043 bases with fine sandpaper. They can be removed with a little heat and not damage the rifle. Love the classic Remington rimfires.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=376350
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Follow these instructions found at Rimfire Central. Clean the receiver with alcohol and rough the bottom of the Weaver 48043 bases with fine sandpaper. They can be removed with a little heat and not damage the rifle. Love the classic Remington rimfires.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=376350
    Thanks for that, most helpful! I really like the Remington rimfires as well.

MGO Member
    While bringing the rifle into the 21st century, I was going to order a Caldwell XLA Bipod as well. Replace the one piece sling mount with a sling stud. It is pretty near the end of the stock. Will I have any issues (anyone know)? Scope, mounts and rings on order. TIA

MGO Member
    I'm sure there are options, just me though....I don't do anything to classic rifles, that can't be reversed.

Maybe you should look at some of Savages modern rimfire models, you could get the accu-trigger also.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    I'm sure there are options, just me though....I don't do anything to classic rifles, that can't be reversed.

Maybe you should look at some of Savages modern rimfire models, you could get the accu-trigger also.
    Yep, I agree. I am going to keep this one the way she is. Started looking for another perhaps in .17hmr. Thanks for the reassurance!