Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Remove fog on inside of scope

I know the best answer is "buy a better scope" which I intend to do after the season. For now, looking for a DYI short-term fix.

Hunted in snow/rain mix Sunday and some moisture must have got inside the scope because now it has a haze/fog inside. Is there any way to get inside of the scope to clean the fog off without affecting the adjustments?

Thank you.

Had that happen to a pair of early 1990's redfield binoculars about 6 years ago. Took them apart, heated with a hair dryer and set them in a tupperware container with uncooked rice for a couple days until the haze was gone and I felt comfortable that the excess water had evaporated. Put paper towels down so the rice didn't get in the binoculars. Put back together with a little o-ring grease and they're still in use and haven't fogged up again. If you can take the scope off you could do the same thing with the rear eyepiece screwed off. If not, perhaps with the eyepiece removed you could heat it up with a hair dryer until the scope was nice and warm. Then screw the eyepice back on with a tiny bit of silicone o-ring grease on the threads to help seal it. You can get silicone o-ring grease in the plumbing section of the hardware store.

No offense moleman a number of tech sights and science DIY pages I follow have suggested the rice thing does not work, or not worth the little effort it takes, includes use for cell phones watches etc.

I like the rest of the take it apart, grease it etc.

Or if its cheap enough, buy another cheapo with a good warranty, or ask around for a used old 1990s bushnell or something off ebay fb marketplace you can get for 10-15 bucks, not very good, barely good, but serviceable.

OP Sometimes you just need to know when to throw in the towel.

No offense taken dirtmcgirt76239. I thought rice as a desiccant was bs the first time my wife jumped in our pool with her iphone. Even teased her not to forget the soy sauce. But it went from dead to working after a couple days in the rice. After a day it worked but the screen still looked funky, another day and it was fine. We have a pool, hot tub, two teenage daughters that like to take hour long tubs while watching movies on their phone and a boy that like to kayak fish and often forgets his phone is in his pocket. It's worked so far on all of their Iphones at least once, the Ipad once and my binoculars. There are much better desiccants out there that will work quicker, but not everyone has them laying around.

Just a thought, but no manufacture was named and the scope might be covered against fogging by the warranty yet. Burris, Leopold, Vortex, Nikon etc. all have lifetime/limited lifetime guarantees. A good nitrogen purge beats a bowl of rice IMHO any day, especially if free.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Account Closed Forum User
    Leave it on the heat register for a couple days.

A vacuum chamber is the best solution. Lower pressure slowly till it bottoms out. Give it a while to boil off all the water, then gradually restore pressure so that no thin wall sections get crushed if they seal up well.

I fell in a lake with a couple day old Iphone 6 and the battery got so hot it almost caught fire. Needless to say it was as dead as the proverbial doornail. Perhaps if the battery state of charge was low it might have survived. Or the lake water has so much in the way of contaminents it was doomed. Phones in tap water seem to have done better.

Instead of rice, use desiccant. Put it all in a sealed tub, and wait.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Instead of rice, use desiccant. Put it all in a sealed tub, and wait.
    That's what I did with my buddies tag watch.

Put my gun safe and ammo can sardine can size dessicant in a zip lock for a couple days, it drew the water out. Steam out. Then he sent it off to be repaired and that way mostyre lingering in the case would not deteriorate the watch internals

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    A vacuum chamber is the best solution. Lower pressure slowly till it bottoms out. Give it a while to boil off all the water, then gradually restore pressure so that no thin wall sections get crushed if they seal up well.

I fell in a lake with a couple day old Iphone 6 and the battery got so hot it almost caught fire. Needless to say it was as dead as the proverbial doornail. Perhaps if the battery state of charge was low it might have survived. Or the lake water has so much in the way of contaminents it was doomed. Phones in tap water seem to have done better.
    That's how I got the moisture out of my not-so-waterproof wrist watch when it's owner forgot to remove it before diving into a lake.

I just used a glass quart jar that I drilled the cover on to take an A/C purge hose adapter. I Put the watch in the jar, closed the cover, then hooked up my A/C vacuum pump and let it pull down to max vacuum for a couple of hours.

It took a while but eventually all the moisture boiled out of the watch in the negative pressure environment.

I was going take the sealed (still evacuated) jar to my local tire dealer and have them give it a shot of pressurized nitrogen but the watch was so clear after sitting in the evacuated and sealed jar overnight that I didn't have to.

For a scope, probably a capped on each end PVC pipe with a proper evacuation hose fitting would allow evacuating and even nitrogen purging if needed.