Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Accuracy in colder weather (video link )

This especially pertains to distance shooters and distance Competitors.

In California ammo stayed pretty consistent through the year unless you went to the Desert in the Summer. The cases got HOT in the sun and you had no idea what velocity you were going to see.

I'm wondering what system is employed here in Michigan now we begin to transition into winter... and DON'T just say "wait for summer". Lol

Do you use a Powder Sensitivity Factor, use more Powder to combat velocity loss, re-zero all together or just not give a Shizznit and walk it in from wherever it happens to hit.

The linked video is a vague rundown of adjustments I do.
    I basically reset my Ballistic Solver to accommodate for lower/slower velocities .
    I do the same if I change powder lot or bullet lots. It takes 6 to 8 rounds and a set of calipers.
    I'm a huge fan of first shot accuracy and this system has kept that expectation on point.

The blowing out the candle and this video both are examples of cold weather shots after a reset.

This video was to be primarily about cold weather accuracy then I had the idea to try and shoot into a case mouth. I'm like an Addict to this crap.
    The shot turned out Sick but really I'm just wondering what other systems do ya'll use.

For some this will not even hit on the radar but for those who shoot distance at precise targets; this has beaukoup value.

With Thanksgiving here ya'll be tired of the in-laws and might as well be posting something up interesting on MGO anyways.

Lemme know ur $.02.
    Taters n Gravy

https://youtu.be/XAppJbJiGDM

I am a Forum User
    Cliffs: Temp insensitive powder. GOOD dope. A good ballistics solver, with good data going in, and weathering conditions for calculating AD, and temp which would be the two biggest factors to have a demonstrable effect down range.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Cliffs: Temp insensitive powder. GOOD dope. A good ballistics solver, with good data going in, and weathering conditions for calculating AD, and temp which would be the two biggest factors to have a demonstrable effect down range.
    I think something that goes unsaid is consistency.
    If you're using for cold barrel accuracy then gather cold velocities.
    Use ammo tested for Temps you are shooting in.

I fully agree with GOOD Dope but there are some who think that once it's good it's good.

Your shooting brain is always on point Quads!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by KayMack View Post
    nice video
    KayMack..... well thank you much n welcome to MGO.

I'm new here myself.
    SV

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SICVIC View Post
    I think something that goes unsaid is consistency.
    If you're using for cold barrel accuracy then gather cold velocities.
    Use ammo tested for Temps you are shooting in.

I fully agree with GOOD Dope but there are some who think that once it's good it's good.

Your shooting brain is always on point Quads!
    I wish once is good it's good. We shoot slightly different disciplines (from your videos to what I've been shooting the last couple years or so / PRS style).
    As an example, 7AM, you get your match book, and pull out the Kestrel, Applied Ballistics App, Strelok or whatever and start crunching numbers and figuring out your holdovers and scope adjustments. Then by the time you get a few stages into the match, or towards the end, the temp has changed considerably, and your numbers are way off from what you wrote down 3 hours prior. Sometimes it's a difference of a center impact (hit) of a 10" steel or on the edge of a steel and you spot that and favor one side or the other on your next shot. Other times, it's a complete miss. And closer ranges, larger targets, it's inconsequential. At least in this discipline of shooting. So I'm a huge fan of constant data analysis and understanding environmental and equipment variables and what those do at the gun / to me, and at the target. Cold bore, cold shooter, cold ammo, etc. versus hot, direction of fire, angle of attack, wind, mirage, etc. Having good dope in any and all of those scenarios is key. And dope that can be used. I don't consider anything other than pretty recent data / engagements in calculating dope. One variable removed from the 100 or so things you do and calculate in the 30 seconds leading up to a shot.

You're also shooting way more high precision / high accuracy focused stuff in your backyard than I do out at a PRS match or something. F Class, a little different, bench rest, even more exotic. PRS there's no X, 10, 9 ring etc. where you can drop 3 points in a single shot. It's hit or miss. Point / No point. Bragging rights, bullsh'tn and bench racing.

So the better dope I have on cold scenarios, and the more I can do to minimize the effect of equipment and components to remove at least some of that variable in those scenarios I'm a fan of. Using temp insensitive components gets me closer. Or at least removes maybe one variable of many. I only want to miss shots because I as the trigger puller missed the shot. Not because ammo, wind, cold bores, milky glass, etc. I've got a long way to go, yet