Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    I sure wish I could use my .38-55. I have other SW calibers including .450 Bush, but I just have a soft spot for the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by 6Den View Post
    I sure wish I could use my .38-55. I have other SW calibers including .450 Bush, but I just have a soft spot for the classics.
    Understandable

Quote Originally Posted by 6Den View Post
    Try trimming 5 or so cases down to 1.8" and seating the bullet out as far as possible. If using jacketed bullets a new cannelure further back might be necessary. See how they shoot. The 38-55 headspaces off of the rim so you're not effecting that. If you have quickload you can play around with the seating depth to get you in the ballpark for the shorter COL. Keeping the bullet seated out as far as possible will help keep the COL as close to standard ammo to help with feeding and keep the useable case capacity closer.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 01-17-2022 at 01:07 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Try trimming 5 or so cases down to 1.8" and seating the bullet out as far as possible. If using jacketed bullets a new cannelure further back might be necessary. See how they shoot. The 38-55 headspaces off of the rim so you're not effecting that. If you have quickload you can play around with the seating depth to get you in the ballpark for the shorter COL. Keeping the bullet seated out as far as possible will help keep the COL as close to standard ammo to help with feeding and keep the useable case capacity closer.
    Thank you, I might try this. Does the tapered case cause any issues with shortening?

You might have to turn or ream the new neck area depending on how fast the case thickens. Much past .015" case mouth wall thickness and it becomes harder for the brass to stretch fast enough to seal the chamber depending on pressure. Since you're only trimming off .285" you still should be in the neck area of the 38-55 case. Depending on what die set you have your crimp die may not reach. I know my Hornady set will crimp a case that is 1.650" long. You can also get a lee factory crimp die and trim the collet so it applies the crimp lower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12