Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Tri-Star Shotguns

I’m wondering your opinion on the Tri-Star semi-automatic shotguns. How do they cycle,accuracy, etc? I’m looking for a semi-auto 410 for my daughter and the options are limited. I see the youth model weighs 5.5 lbs while the others are 6.5 lbs or greater. Opinions are appreciated!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

I bought my son's tristars in twelves guage. So far so good! I want to buy myself one in .410 "just because".
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

I am a Forum User
    Have never touched one sorry, but will tell you just in case, Mossberg offers a auto 28 gauge with changeable choke in a bantam model. Have had 2 12 gauge autos of theirs and dont have a bad thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Have never touched one sorry, but will tell you just in case, Mossberg offers a auto 28 gauge with changeable choke in a bantam model. Have had 2 12 gauge autos of theirs and dont have a bad thing to say.
    I appreciate the info. I have been looking at the weight and it seems Mossbergs are 1-1.5 lbs more in weight. Sometimes that means less felt recoil. I would entertain 28 gauge since I have everything to reload it. I should do some additional research on that option.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

I am a Forum User
    I had 12 ga auto loader going on 20 years now. It was a great gun until about a year ago.. I can’t recall what broke but a part inside like a locking block or something. Because they are imported and not made here by a big name company parts are non existent. It went from being a gun that outperformed my buddies browning to hanging on the wall in unusable condition. To answer your question... It cycled 2-3/4,3” & 3-1/2” flawlessly and was as accurate as any shotgun I own. Did I get my 250.00 worth? Probably.. would I buy again? Probably not.. as of now I own two mosbergs, two remingtons and a browning. I can find parts, I can swap stocks for smaller users and if I shop around I bet I can find a good used one for around the same price as a tristar.

MGO Member
    I have two tristar viper g2 shotguns 28ga with over 6000 rounds and a 20ga with over 3000 rounds i highly recommend them they do have trigger pulls in the 7 to 8 pound range.

Quote Originally Posted by Robrob1974 View Post
    I had 12 ga auto loader going on 20 years now. It was a great gun until about a year ago.. I can’t recall what broke but a part inside like a locking block or something. Because they are imported and not made here by a big name company parts are non existent. It went from being a gun that outperformed my buddies browning to hanging on the wall in unusable condition. To answer your question... It cycled 2-3/4,3” & 3-1/2” flawlessly and was as accurate as any shotgun I own. Did I get my 250.00 worth? Probably.. would I buy again? Probably not.. as of now I own two mosbergs, two remingtons and a browning. I can find parts, I can swap stocks for smaller users and if I shop around I bet I can find a good used one for around the same price as a tristar.
    So even with a wait, maybe over paying there are no parts available ?

No support at all, that's a bummer.

I am a Forum User
    I looked all over the web, called Tristar and was told they sold all their part stock for that model to one of the bigger firearm parts suppliers. Checked with them and they didn’t have much left and not the part I needed. I’m sure I could find a Smith to do the work but like I said I paid around 250 for it back in the day and it doesn’t hold any sentimental value so even putting say 100.00 into it isn’t worth it to me. I’d rather put that money towards something like a Remington, mossberg, browning,etc....

If I were setting up a youth with a gun I would take into consideration the availability of youth stocks. You can buy one of the more popular manufactures guns and can put a youth stock on it then swap out to the full size stock as the kid grows. At one point I took a saw to the buttstock of a 1022 to make it fit my kids when they were younger. I did this knowing I can buy a new/used one at a reasonable price when they grew out of it.
    Last edited by Robrob1974; 12-02-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robrob1974 View Post
    I looked all over the web, called Tristar and was told they sold all their part stock for that model to one of the bigger firearm parts suppliers. Checked with them and they didn’t have much left and not the part I needed. I’m sure I could find a Smith to do the work but like I said I paid around 250 for it back in the day and it doesn’t hold any sentimental value so even putting say 100.00 into it isn’t worth it to me. I’d rather put that money towards something like a Remington, mossberg, browning,etc....

If I were setting up a youth with a gun I would take into consideration the availability of youth stocks. You can buy one of the more popular manufactures guns and can put a youth stock on it then swap out to the full size stock as the kid grows. At one point I took a saw to the buttstock of a 1022 to make it fit my kids when they were younger. I did this knowing I can buy a new/used one at a reasonable price when they grew out of it.
    Yeah I am with you I own remington, I have been looking at shot guns on gunbroker because everything is gone or overpriced in the stuff I usually buy, I have been looking at old savage or stevens on the cheap end, nice browning on the high end .... I did not know the turkish stuff was that hard to service. Just another reason to not like them, which I already was bigoted against the turkish stuff.

If the support is a joke, and I can go buy any part for a 60 year old savage from numrich, ruger red label, browning, winchester over unders and skip the turkish stuff. Not even tempted by it is parts are not there ten years from now.

I am a Forum User
    Tristar is an importer, not a manufacturer. Sort of like Charles Daly was.