Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Banned Forum User

Getting into hunting shape

From what I have experienced the best way to get into hunting shape is unfortunately just to night the bullet and go hunting. I’m curious if you have certain cardio or weightlifting exercise that seem to be extremely beneficial.

I walk minimum minimum 10,000 steps per day on my gps tracking, often 16,000 so I am good. I would say if you want to get in shape walk 1-2 miles every day at night after work, once or twice per week minimum do higher cardio stuff like a half hour on a exercise bike and get your heart rate up. So you do not end up being the weird old guy who has not run in 20 years, run about once a week, even if its just a half mile. That will help stop you from forgetting how to run, and being a weirdo who runs like a spaz if you are a desk job guy.

Hunting is not very strenuous, so just find some activity real bike, exercise bike, treadmill, elliptical etc that you for real do every other day, for months on end as a habit.

People run into problems and injuries trying to get in shape for swimsuit season, vacation, spring break, hunting etc a couple weeks before. It doesn't work that way, slower and steadier more long term is what you want.

MGO Member
    In shape to do what? Walk in a field all day with a bird dog trying to get some upland birds? Sit in a stand and wait? Row a boat while waterfowl hunting? Climb a mountain, shoot an elk, carve it up, and haul it down?

Generally, the most strenuous part is hauling out your kill. Some people have items like 4-wheelers that even make that easier. If hunting with large elevation changes, climbing up hill is strenuous for many.

For me, being in half decent shape is important for overall quality of life, health, and self defense if necessary. That allows a lot of carryover into regular outdoor activities.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast