Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the extra AR, get an AK, make mother Russia proud

8 13.56%
  • Eugene Stoner is rolling over in his grave, keep the AR

17 28.81%
  • Ignore your wife and buy the AK and keep the AR

34 57.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AK47 or AR15?

I am a Forum User
    I'd say keep the AR and pick up an AK. My opinion, PSA GF3 or 103, Anything built mostly using WBP parts, or the new Yugo's with chrome lined barrels. I'm an AR guy, but I like my AK's.

I have a PSA GF3 that I picked up last year for Black Friday, and I have to say, I am really impressed. Wasn't a fan of the Magpul MOE furniture. Triggers not that bad. Rifle is a bit overgassed, but not terrible. It has a melonite barrel, but Battlefield Vegas converted a GF3 to full auto, and it went 17,000rds. Now, they look for quite a bit of keyholing at a short range before they consider something shot out, so it could have keyholed at 200 or 300yds well before that. However, all they do is mag dumps. Shouldn't have a problem putting 20K+ through it. They also said that it should just need a barrel change, everything else looked great. If you're worried about the barrel, get one of PSA's chrome lined barrels, I think some are still offered with FN chrome lined barrels.

I also have a Polska CG1 from Atlantic Firearms. WBP based kit, Radom chrome lined barrel, Definitive Arms adjustable gas block and M4 stock adapter, Childers receiver, and ALG trigger. Absolutely LOVE this rifle! Recoil is slightly more than a 223 AR, about on par with a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel AR. Fit and function are great. Only gripe I have is that the finish isn't that great. The PSA GF3 has a much better finish, and it was a third the cost.

Don't have a newer Yugo with chrome lined barrels, and 1.5mm receivers, but would love to get one. Don't really care too much that the Yugo's require some specialty parts. Once it's set up, you should be fine. There are also quite a few out there, so shouldn't be too hard to find something if you need it.

If you're more an AR guy, then I would suggest changing a few things out an any AK. First is an M4 stock adapter. Never was a fan of AK stocks in general, I prefer the Definitive Arms adapters. Second is the ALG trigger, they are phenominal. After that, I would switch out the grip to something more AR like. I personally run Magpul K2's for both AR's and AK's. I also like the Krebs MK VI safety. Lastly, I run bolt hold open followers. I like knowing the mags empty, rather then just assuming.

With that said, practice with the rifle. Shouldn't take long to get used to the platform.
    Last edited by BMT85; 12-04-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Banned Forum User
    The options are hard to decide on , But i dare not choose the 3rd option

I am a Forum User
    I go AR-15 all day everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by BMT85 View Post
    I'd say keep the AR and pick up an AK. My opinion, PSA GF3 or 103, Anything built mostly using WBP parts, or the new Yugo's with chrome lined barrels. I'm an AR guy, but I like my AK's.

I have a PSA GF3 that I picked up last year for Black Friday, and I have to say, I am really impressed. Wasn't a fan of the Magpul MOE furniture. Triggers not that bad. Rifle is a bit overgassed, but not terrible. It has a melonite barrel, but Battlefield Vegas converted a GF3 to full auto, and it went 17,000rds. Now, they look for quite a bit of keyholing at a short range before they consider something shot out, so it could have keyholed at 200 or 300yds well before that. However, all they do is mag dumps. Shouldn't have a problem putting 20K+ through it. They also said that it should just need a barrel change, everything else looked great. If you're worried about the barrel, get one of PSA's chrome lined barrels, I think some are still offered with FN chrome lined barrels.

I also have a Polska CG1 from Atlantic Firearms. WBP based kit, Radom chrome lined barrel, Definitive Arms adjustable gas block and M4 stock adapter, Childers receiver, and ALG trigger. Absolutely LOVE this rifle! Recoil is slightly more than a 223 AR, about on par with a 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel AR. Fit and function are great. Only gripe I have is that the finish isn't that great. The PSA GF3 has a much better finish, and it was a third the cost.

Don't have a newer Yugo with chrome lined barrels, and 1.5mm receivers, but would love to get one. Don't really care too much that the Yugo's require some specialty parts. Once it's set up, you should be fine. There are also quite a few out there, so shouldn't be too hard to find something if you need it.

If you're more an AR guy, then I would suggest changing a few things out an any AK. First is an M4 stock adapter. Never was a fan of AK stocks in general, I prefer the Definitive Arms adapters. Second is the ALG trigger, they are phenominal. After that, I would switch out the grip to something more AR like. I personally run Magpul K2's for both AR's and AK's. I also like the Krebs MK VI safety. Lastly, I run bolt hold open followers. I like knowing the mags empty, rather then just assuming.

With that said, practice with the rifle. Shouldn't take long to get used to the platform.
    For the record, I ended up getting the PSA AK GF3 MOEKOV railed rifle that was in stock, mostly due to having the ALG AKT Enhanced Trigger. Came with the railed top handguard which I'll likely run a red dot on, krebs enhanced safety, replace the bottom handguard with a Russian Red wooden handguard and keep the Zhukov stock on there....for now. Rob Ski seemed impressed with the GF3 and gave it a recommendation after 5k rounds and I trust his opinion on everything AK.

EDIT:
    AND keeping the AR....
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    For the record, I ended up getting the PSA AK GF3 MOEKOV railed rifle that was in stock, mostly due to having the ALG AKT Enhanced Trigger. Came with the railed top handguard which I'll likely run a red dot on, krebs enhanced safety, replace the bottom handguard with a Russian Red wooden handguard and keep the Zhukov stock on there....for now. Rob Ski seemed impressed with the GF3 and gave it a recommendation after 5k rounds and I trust his opinion on everything AK.

EDIT:
    AND keeping the AR....
    Cool, PSK AK is a nice AK. Very similar to my Riley Defense.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

EDIT:
    AND keeping the AR....
    Three or four years ago I would not have been excited for psa ak.

Gotta admit they are slowly winning my confidence.

I trust rob as well.

If he says it's good it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Three or four years ago I would not have been excited for psa ak.

Gotta admit they are slowly winning my confidence.

I trust rob as well.

If he says it's good it's good.
    I have around 4000-5000 though mine with no malfunctions or abnormal wear at all. Completely blown away for a $400 (at the time) AK. Accurate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    I have around 4000-5000 though mine with no malfunctions or abnormal wear at all. Completely blown away for a $400 (at the time) AK. Accurate too.
    They've gone up in a price a bit since then but still reasonable for the quality especially compared to how much imports have gun up and that Century is asking more for their VSKAs...

4-5 years ago I wouldn't have even considered PSA due to quality concern issues I'd seen with their AR stuff (and I'd argue justifiably so). The last couple of years though, they have really turned around their game, not sure if they got some new management or just started taking themselves seriously but they've totally re-worked their branding, their site, constantly pushing out brand new product that isn't just another AR and most of it seems to be well received.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

They've gone up in a price a bit since then but still reasonable for the quality especially compared to how much imports have gun up and that Century is asking more for their VSKAs...

4-5 years ago I wouldn't have even considered PSA due to quality concern issues I'd seen with their AR stuff (and I'd argue justifiably so). The last couple of years though, they have really turned around their game, not sure if they got some new management or just started taking themselves seriously but they've totally re-worked their branding, their site, constantly pushing out brand new product that isn't just another AR and most of it seems to be well received.
    I'm glad a US company can finally build a quality AK rifle, and hopefully K-USA will be right there with them! Both are looking goot according to Rob! Maybe they can start a price war soon as they quit messing with our 2nd!!!
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User

EDIT:
    AND keeping the AR....
    I am new enough here that I totally missed your Poll but, if I would have been able to vote, I would have voted for doing exactly what you did!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123