Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the extra AR, get an AK, make mother Russia proud

8 13.56%
  • Eugene Stoner is rolling over in his grave, keep the AR

17 28.81%
  • Ignore your wife and buy the AK and keep the AR

34 57.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK47 or AR15?

AK47 or AR15?

Felt like re-igniting the debate older than time itself and wanted to hear some opinions, very seriously considering selling one of my nicer ARs to pickup an AK47, my thoughts on both:

Reasons to sell AR to get an AK:
    -I don't have an AK47, this is arguably the most important reason
    -I've got a Tavor in 5.56 already as well as a 10.5" AR so I'm not dropping the cartridge entirely
    -Steel case AK ammo is generally going for less than 5.56 brass is going for now
    -The AK will arguably stand up to more abuse and neglect over time
    -The 7.62x39 is just as effective within 200 yards and arguably outperforms at shorter distances

Reasons to just keep the AR:
    -It is a rather nice rifle: very light trigger, Taran Tactical ultralight upper with .223 Wylde chamber
    -The 5.56 most definitely outperforms the 7.62x39 at longer ranges
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

I am a Forum User
    If you're used to ARs, stick with them. AK controls suck. They're cumbersome and simply put, they're not ARs.

I am a Forum User
    Nothing makes you appreciate an AR15 like trying to use an AK in any sort of action based competition (or accuracy I assume). In my experience they don't seem to be any more reliable than an AR15 either.

The real answer is you need both though, because Aks are cool AF.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    If you're used to ARs, stick with them. AK controls suck. They're cumbersome and simply put, they're not ARs.
    I've run both, used to both but I've definitely run ARs more.
    MGO Member
    www.ragnarokarms.com

I am a Forum User
    Could always go with a CMMG Mk47 Mutant

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Sell an AR for a Imported AK because the value Will increase faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Badshotbob View Post
    Sell an AR for a Imported AK because the value Will increase faster.
    Was looking at the Zastavas since the Arsenals have gotten crazy expensive.
    MGO Member
    www.ragnarokarms.com

Had many nice AK's during and after then ban. The only one I sorta miss was an M76 Valmet tube folder.
    Purged them all and my milsurps about 10 yrs ago.
    If you just want to shoot the cheaper ammo just get a 7.62x39 AR upper.
    I have a 7" PSA pistol upper that is surprisingly accurate even with steel case. Like 1.5 moa.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    Had many nice AK's during and after then ban. The only one I sorta miss was an M76 Valmet tube folder.
    Purged them all and my milsurps about 10 yrs ago.
    If you just want to shoot the cheaper ammo just get a 7.62x39 AR upper.
    I have a 7" PSA pistol upper that is surprisingly accurate even with steel case. Like 1.5 moa.
    Nah, I want an actual AK, not just an AR that can fire the caliber.

I had a couple I've sold over the years that I'm kicking myself for: a stamped Arsenal that I bought when they could be had for under <$1k and a Vepr AK74 that I got a great deal on that came with like 10-12 magazines (I'm really kicking myself for selling that one).
    MGO Member
    www.ragnarokarms.com

A traditional AK is awkward if you’re used to AR’s. My go to beater rifle is a 16” AK with Magpul furniture (full length Zhukov fore end and folder) with a Krebs safety and an ALG trigger. The ALG trigger feels very much like a drop in AR trigger. Light, predictable brak, short reset, and none of the mushy vague slop most AK triggers have. It also has a very effective combo device on the barrel that all but eliminates muzzle climb and most of the recoil. It’s faster shooting (and controllable) than any other rifle I’ve owned. Surprisingly accurate too. I can honestly run it as fast as my AR or AUG. Though, it took practice. It’s not as intuitive. I have a circle/ dot sight mounted on an Ultimak rail too. Great sight picture.

My only complaint is that it gets HOT fast. The Zhukov fore end has an aluminum chassis under it that clamps to the barrel. It acts like a heat sink, and makes handling it impossible without gloves. I added an AFG to fix the issue though, the heat doesn’t permeate through it.

It’s to the point where 7.62 is so much less expensive than 5.56, you could pay for the rifle from the cost savings in 2000 rounds. I have maybe $1000 invested in mine, optic included, and it plays ball with my $3100 AUG. Do I like my AUG better? Absolutely. Do I like it $2100 better? Absolutely not. It’s definitely more fun than my “sister” AR I put together to compliment it. (Dissipator style AR with same Magpul furniture) Surprisingly noticeably more accurate too when shooting wolf vs Wolf. Both PSA products with similar prices. I think I got the base AK as a blem for like $400 3 years ago. The AR was put together for about the same as well maybe 2 years ago. 7.62 is still going for $319/ case for wolf on a few sites......but even steel case .223 is going for nearly $700. Brass 5.56 is just asinine.....and my AUG (that runs only on full power 5.56) has been siting in the safe because I refuse to pay $0.80/rnd to replace what I have laying around. The AK is still blasting away.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 12-03-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast