Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    So if they plan on collecting sales tax from NPB, are they also planning on forwarding those collected taxes to state treasuries? Not sure how that's going to work out.
    This has been a big concern on mine for while now. I would wager a bet that most larger on-line businesses like major gun selling sites, Amazon, E-Bay do forward the tax dollars to the sate concerned.

My concern has been with the smaller independents that collet state sales tax, I seriously doubt that most do forward those collected taxes to the state they were collected for. So this still leaves the buyer on the hook for paying state sales tax if it is ever audited.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    My concern has been with the smaller independents that collet state sales tax, I seriously doubt that most do forward those collected taxes to the state they were collected for. So this still leaves the buyer on the hook for paying state sales tax if it is ever audited.
    No. Why would the buyer be liable when a corrupt company breaks the law and keeps monies it collected under the guise of sales tax?

If the seller collects state sales tax, then the burden is no longer on the buyer to forward it. The buyer PAID the sales tax to the retailer. The burden is then on the retailer to make sure the revenue gets to the appropriate state treasury.

If an online seller is pocketing sales tax collected from buyers, he's going to be the one in the world of hurt if/when the state(s) find out.

MGO Member
    All the more reason to deal face to face, citizen to citizen. I don't mind paying FFL transfer fees, it's just part of the game and they're actually rendering a service. All things considered, interstate commerce shouldn't have sales tax applied. IntrAstate, I could understand - not necessarily agree with but I understand. Especially business to consumer even if it is on gunbroker or other online sites.

Just an opinion from a crotchety curmudgeon.

Banned Forum User
    thats juts it

I am not a business owner, but I have been selling off parts of my collection on gunbroker. It does not seem right that they should be collecting taxes on items that I already paid taxes on when the items I bought were new. I am selling used items now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12