Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

80% Lower Receiver

Can anyone help me mill out this lower receiver please I have no experience at all and before I mess it all up I would love some help

I am a Forum User
    Might be somewhat difficult as that seems to be a very gray area when it comes to 80% lowers. (see link)

https://www.ar-15lowerreceivers.com/...ithout-an-ffl/

Completing a 80% is a little like taking an ugly fat chick home from the bar. Your buddies can cheer you on or even offer advise, but you have to do the deed yourself. There are several people on this site that have completed an 80% with various tools like mills, drill presses and even routers. Milling out the pocket is fairly forgiving. Any screw ups can usually be fixed with jb weld, epoxy or zinc soldering rods. What tools do you have to work with?

That webpage referred to is a little confusing:

" The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) says you can build a gun at home without a license:

"No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use.
    Shouldn't that be Yes?

How about if OP hired someone to teach him how it's done, on the instructors machinery?
    That way he would actually be doing the work. All he would have to do is turn a dial a tad or press a button.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    How about if OP hired someone to teach him how it's done, on the instructors machinery?
    That way he would actually be doing the work. All he would have to do is turn a dial a tad or press a button.
    Pretty much covered under this section:

Can I use someone else's equipment to complete my 80 lower?
    Excellent question! Thankfully, the ATF also clarified this in their 2015-1 ruling:

"Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment."

The answer is no.

Why? If you run a machine shop or CNC (even if you're not a licensed FFL) and you loan out any equipment to anyone trying to complete an 80 lower receiver, you're now bound by the Gun Control Act's requirements. That means you need an FFL. If you don't have one, you're in trouble.

The easy (and legal) way to complete your 80 lower is with a jig. Officially called an 80 lower jig, these little units cost around $180 to $300. The jig acts like a mini-gunsmithing station in your home, allowing you to complete your lower with your own tools.

***Basically this was a way for the atf to ban the old build parties or the 80% places that had a cnc machine that you could place your 80% in and press the start button.

MGO Member
    My understanding is as Moleman stated.

The 5D Tactical jig is reviewed favorably and held in high esteem by people that make 80% lowers. You might check into that one.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

But what about a buddy with the necessary equipment in his basement shop, and not in any kind of business? I can understand the ATF stance on it as above.
    I'm not familiar with the building of an 80% so I'm not sure what machinery, etc. it would take. I'm familiar with machinery, but not everyone is.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    maybe he could sell you the equipment for say $1, then you use it, and sell it back when your done for $1. LOL. That's called a loophole.

I am a Forum User
    I have the same thing going. I have what I think are the tools I need and would be willing to bring my stuff, beverages, and pizza, over to an experienced person's garage for live tips from them.

I don't have any fear of screwing up a normal AR 80%, but I am trying to get a 10mm built and had my lower disappear with no real chance to get another one until well after the craziness is done.

PM me if your willing and in the extended Metro Detroit area. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zio3k3eVk

Watch and hope this helps.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast