Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Brace = free sbr?

So what's the deal on this?

I am a Forum User
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...-Pistol-Braces

Comments can be made on the Federal Register now. Anyone that falls for the free tax stamp is a sucker.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...-Pistol-Braces

Comments can be made on the Federal Register now. Anyone that falls for the free tax stamp is a sucker.
    I have a trust and a couple AR pistols I was gonna SBR. I'd rather double check b4 I spend $200.

I am a Forum User
    I have a couple of lowers and most of the parts that I was planning on building SBRs with them.

I am a Forum User
    I lost all my AR stuff in a boating accident this summer.

I am a Forum User
    What happens if things with braces get classified AOW. Can you put a stock on it and not have to pay tax for SBR?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    What happens if things with braces get classified AOW.
    I don't think they would fit the definition of AOW.

The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

I am a Forum User
    In terms, that an idiot can understand i.e. me, is there a difference between me filing a form 1 with the $200 tax and putting a collapsible stock on my currently braced pistol, therefor turning it into an SBR vs the possible exemption that was listed in the notice?

Dont both steps register the SBR?

If we use the exemption can we then put any stock on we want?

Im getting really tired and confused trying to stay legal lately but I’d like to know how to do so. HOPEFULLY before I go on a deep sea fishing excursion soon that Im hoping to take ALL my guns on in case I need to protect myself from pirates.

I am a Forum User
    Nothing is final yet. Everyone just needs to wait.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerV76 View Post
    In terms, that an idiot can understand i.e. me, is there a difference between me filing a form 1 with the $200 tax and putting a collapsible stock on my currently braced pistol, therefor turning it into an SBR vs the possible exemption that was listed in the notice?

Dont both steps register the SBR?

If we use the exemption can we then put any stock on we want?

Im getting really tired and confused trying to stay legal lately but I’d like to know how to do so. HOPEFULLY before I go on a deep sea fishing excursion soon that Im hoping to take ALL my guns on in case I need to protect myself from pirates.
    If the ATF decides that braces are rifle stocks and wants all current brace-equipped AR15s registered as SBRs, then - yes - you could put whatever rifle stock on there you want after it's registered as an SBR. But I would wait until this all shakes out before doing anything with a brace-equipped pistol.

And folks, there's more to the BS of this than the tax stamp (whether they give it to you for free or not). If they decide that the AR pistols are now SBRs, not only will you need to get a tax stamp for each one, but you'd have to notify the BATFE and ASK PERMISSION ~30 DAYS IN ADVANCE to take the SBR across state lines -- something you don't have to do with a pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast