Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Feedback on Savage 110 rifles (308)

Hello, I'm looking into 308 rifles that can be used for Target Shooting and Hunting. A possible rifle is the Savage 110 Tactical rifle. Is the 110 action a good one, from a reliability and accuracy standpoint? Any experiences on shooting long strings of rounds as it pertains to group size and group shifting? Long string may mean 10 to 20 rounds. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am a Forum User
    Excellent entry level rifle. The F150 or Chevy Work Truck of rifles.
    Would build custom from scratch if I were looking for long range accuracy. (match type shooting)
    More mass in the barrel will be the biggest proponent of longer strings and POI shifts. Sporter versus a Palma or M24 contour. As will the quality of rifle, barrel, etc...

What are you planning with it?
    Last edited by Quads; 12-23-2020 at 05:45 PM.

I am a Forum User
    a bonus if the rifle you're looking at has an accu-trigger. Makes a good rifle shoot even better..

My savage 110 beater is my go to rifle while hunting in Mi. Has never failed mechanically or harvesting game.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

excellent choice, the best part is how easy a savage is to swap out a barrel, so should it not meet your goals, its really easy to remedy. Sky is the limit with the custom stuff and this is one of the more popular routes so I say go for it. 308 barrels last a long time so thats a good choice.

What are your expectations after firing 20 rds? What is acceptable.

MGO Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in learning to shoot accurately from 25 to 300 yards right now. Not long range precision, if I could work up to it, 500 yards would be my max. Probably not competition either. I want a rifle that is heavier than a sporter, but not a full blown varmit/sniper barrel. A rifle that I can carry without over effort, but yet acceptable accuracy if I want to shoot a 10 to 20 round string. I've seen quite a few different rifle manufactures that are putting heavier contour barrels on their action without going full blown heavy barrel, I guess they call them sporter heavy barrels. i will look into the 110 Savage rifles. Acceptable to me would be still making effective hits on target without having to change my aim point on the target. Again Thanks to all for your feedback.

I am a Forum User
    The 110 will do that. You will find the upper limits on a 20 string shot with a 'heavy sporter' contour, but nothing unreasonable. I think the stock barrel on that is more heavy than it is sporter. If it's the same barrel they put on the 10, it performs well. I have a 10 in 308, so essentially the same rifle, short action (110 vs. 10 / Long vs. Short Action (although I don't know why the call it the 110 with a SA anymore, but whatever...I digress)). I don't compete with my Savage 10 though. Mostly a range toy, tinker at the farm, let my son drive it a bit, etc. It's a good solid 1 MOA shooter out of the box. Still shoots straight on a 10 or 12 string shot within 90 seconds or so. Haven't personally done 20 in a compressed timeframe. Will ring steel at 5, 6, or 800 yards if the shooter does his part and has good DOPE and ammo. They're relatively inexpensive, mostly straight, accessories are plentiful, there is a massive following, and aftermarket support, so it may for your needs pretty well.

If you were going to compete say PRS / NRL / that type I'd suggest a different direction. For an everyday, solid out of the box shooter, sure, it will get you there.

There are a bunch of 1000 yard / $1000 rifle projects on the internet / youtubes, and many of them start with the Savage 10/110 platform.
    Last edited by Quads; 12-23-2020 at 10:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I’ve shot one and was actually very impressed with it, I would not be scared to purchase one!

I had a 20” model that would shoot clover leaf groups at 100 yards with ease, screwed on a Shilen bbl, it shot better yet. Savage is a great platform to build off of.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    Okay, Quads your reply was very informative. The info on shooting 10 to 12 round strings is very helpful. The 10 to 20 round string I stated was sort of arbitrarily picked out of thin air. I would like to ask you what is your rifles barrel profile . If I'm reading and comprehending your reply right, your rifle has the same profile barrel that Savage uses on the Tactical rifle. Is that correct? My use sort of matches yours with exception it would be used for hunting also. Thank your for sharing information and thoughts. Helps me in knowledge building greatly. dave7120 , how many rounds did you shoot ? What was it that impressed you , if you don't mind me asking ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast