Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    My Savage 10 barrel measures (roughly) .860" at the muzzle (308Win). My Howa's range from .900" to .800". (6.5 and 6mm)
    The Ruger RPR measures right around 750ish or so. Both chambered in 6.5CM
    I've got another bench like 22 caliber that brags at a full inch.

Again, (IMO, YMMV) for general use, hunting, target, etc. and you're not running long strings out to 1000 yards, that savage with that heavier barrel will do just fine. Honestly,
    I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axel on the topic. Not at least until you can without question say you outshot a .850" barrel because it faded in the last 2 shots of a string and had you been behind a 950 barrel then you would have made impacts.

Here is a good read on contours.
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/...-the-pros-use/

Barrel diameter doesn’t control drift when heated, proper stress relief does. A heavy tube simply heats slower and can tend to hide the sins of the maker.
    You mention hunting as a use for this rifle. I would take a hard look at this type of rifle for hunting unless you are planning to hunt from a stand close to your vehicle. Most heavy barrel precision rifles will run over 10 lbs empty and sans sights, plus be muzzle heavy. That can be quite a load added to you when trying to drag a deer a couple city blocks or more and won’t be a quick off hand shooter.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Lots of great info. Going to take Quads advice and not get too wrapped up in the what for's and what if's. Also thinking maybe that the hunting aspect is best left to another rifle configuration. Again Thanks to all who helped me out. Going to look at Savage Rifles and start there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12