Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Rules

I can't post links yet! Forum User

AR15 Rules

Good morning everyone. I am sure this has been asked before but I could not find a clear answer, and maybe there is not one.

I am looking at building an AR15 pistol according to federal regulations. I am wanting to use a 12.5” barrel with a SBA3 pistol brace. Is this legal in Michigan? This is what I found.

Federally it is a pistol and does not need the SBR tax stamp. But according to Michigan law, it will be over 26”, so not a pistol.

But with the SBA3 brace, it is not meant to be shouldered as stated in the Michigan’s “rifle” definition. So not a rifle.

Michigan’s “SBR” definition says a “rifle” with a barrel less than 16”. But again it will not be shouldered, so this would not be a “rifle” still and then not a “SBR”.

This brings me to believe it would be classified as a “firearm”. Is it legal to have just a weapon classified as just a firearm? Does it need the SBR tax stamp to comply anyways to Michigan law? Or is it safest to just build either a “rifle” or “pistol” and avoid the grey area? Has anyone gotten an answer on how Michigan measures OAL?

Thanks.

With what you have listed a "pistol" with a 12.5 in barrel, It would be over the 26in as defined in ATF guild lines, as well as in Michigan law.
    Be that said, It's a "firearm". Thus, can not be loaded in your vehicle, and it can't be concealed. As of 12-24 ATF is backing back down from the SB3 brace deal. That means you can get what you want and not have to worried about the brace. If you wanted to be a "pistol" then you would have to look at a shorter barrel, like 10.5 or 9in on down. From this barrel lenght it will put at 25 3/4 or less depending on what barrel you want to go with. Now SBR NFA stamp, will take some time, but if you go that way you don't have to worry about much other than get it engraved and Trust if you pland on transfering it to a son, daughter, family memeber apond your death.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

That’s what I thought, the 12.5” barrel would make it over 26”.

So if I wanted to carry it loaded, it needs to be registered as a pistol and under 26”. If I am ok transporting it in the same manner as a rifle then a 12.5” barrel with a brace is legal to own in Michigan, and does not get registered. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Devreet; 12-25-2020 at 03:50 PM.

So if I wanted to carry it loaded, it needs to be registered as a pistol and under 26”
    Yes, but there is no way legally to register an assemble pistol on the RI-60. A. You are not buying it and B. you are not selling it. So, either you commit a Felony and lie, or commit a misdemeanor by not Registering it... So it's your call. Search for this info on MGO covering this topic.
    Last edited by XDM 40 cal; 12-25-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammer
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Thanks for the info. Have a great day.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by XDM 40 cal View Post
    With what you have listed a "pistol" with a 12.5 in barrel, It would be over the 26in as defined in ATF guild lines, as well as in Michigan law.
    Be that said, It's a "firearm". Thus, can not be loaded in your vehicle, and it can't be concealed. As of 12-24 ATF is backing back down from the SB3 brace deal. That means you can get what you want and not have to worried about the brace. If you wanted to be a "pistol" then you would have to look at a shorter barrel, like 10.5 or 9in on down. From this barrel lenght it will put at 25 3/4 or less depending on what barrel you want to go with. Now SBR NFA stamp, will take some time, but if you go that way you don't have to worry about much other than get it engraved and Trust if you pland on transfering it to a son, daughter, family memeber apond your death.
    There is no law against carrying a long gun concealed in Michigan. It can only be transported in a vehicle unloaded.

The rest is correct.

There is no law against carrying a long gun concealed in Michigan. It can only be transported in a vehicle unloaded.
    True, thou it would be goofy looking.

If it’s a “firearm”, it needs to be transported as a “rifle”. But the firearm could have a brace, be greater than 26” in length and not need to be registered? Or does this configuration of a firearm need the SBR tax stamp anyways in Michigan regardless of the pistol brace?

I think I may just try and keep it under 26”. LOL.

Hope all had a great Christmas, and thanks for helping the newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Devreet View Post
    If it’s a “firearm”, it needs to be transported as a “rifle”. But the firearm could have a brace, be greater than 26” in length and not need to be registered? Yes it's no longer a "Pistol". Or does this configuration of a firearm need the SBR tax stamp anyways in Michigan regardless of the pistol brace? Nope, unless you want to have a stock on it.

I think I may just try and keep it under 26”. LOL.

Hope all had a great Christmas, and thanks for helping the newbie.
    Yep, Merry Christmas.

I am a Forum User
    There are a limited variety of shortened buffer tubes that would make a 12.5" barrel AR under 26" OAL. There are a limited selection of stabilizing braces to match.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast