Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Not Just Guns Auctions

I wondered if anyone has any experience with Not Just Guns? I recently had a disappointing experience with their auctions.

I was actively bidding on a wednesday auction and had the high bid. I raised my auto bid on Wednesday morning, the day the auction was to close. About 4 hours before the close of the auction I checked to see if my bid was still winning or if I needed to raise my bid. To my surprise the gun was gone from my watch list. It was a little before 5, so I called to see what was going on.

I was told by a representative t hff at they sold the gun in the store. I was quite confused and inquired how a gun that was being actively bid on would be sold out from under the auction bidder. The representative had no good answer and said he would have the owner call with an explanation. I still havent heard from them.

Anyone else have this experience? Not sure how to proceed, as it clearly indicated that my bid was a legally binding contract to make the purchase.
    Last edited by Woodcock1; 12-26-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

MGO Member
    Pretty common - but usually stated in the auction. If it’s for sale locally as well that’s fairly commonplace. Not that I’ve had it happen to me but I’ve seen people putting verbiage like for sale locally as well in auctions at various sites.

I am a Forum User
    I read all that was posted on the rules of the auction with no mention of cancelling an auction. I too have read listings that indicate local sale if no bids or un met reserves. There clearly was no documentation of this as a possibility on their auctions. Had there been I would have called to see how much a direct purchase would be.

I am a Forum User
    Seller wasn't getting what he though it would go for, so killed the auction with the "also for sale locally" clause.
    He'll relist it in a few weeks / month and give it another go.
    Not an uncommon occurrence.
    Sadly.

I am a Forum User
    It is sad. I like supporting local businesses, but acts like this kill that plan. I would be totally understanding if there was any mention of the local sale, but to just pull it from a no reserve auction, that had active bids, is too unscrupulous of a practice for me to support this business any further. Especially, without any contact back from the owner to discuss the situation further.

I am a Forum User
    Now that's not to say there are legit sellers or auctions out there where something is grabbed locally / online / craigslist, etc., and there are existing bids on the online action, but I've seen many a times where it was clear the seller wasn't getting what would be fair market value the high bid was getting a great deal and it was all of a sudden canceled with the 'local sale' clause. Cna happen both ways. Didn't see yours, so obviously only have half the story. If it's for sale locally, then yes, like you said, 'what's the local price?' we can solve this problem right here and now.

Whatever. Just thinking out loud.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodcock1 View Post
    It is sad. I like supporting local businesses, but acts like this kill that plan. I would be totally understanding if there was any mention of the local sale, but to just pull it from a no reserve auction, that had active bids, is too unscrupulous of a practice for me to support this business any further. Especially, without any contact back from the owner to discuss the situation further.
    I’m local to Not Just Guns and shop there regularly. Great place.

I understand your frustration but I also don’t see anything on their auction site saying the items are NOT for sale in the store and available on the auction only. If the item was that crucial to me that I’d go online and complain about it I’d have likely called the store to ask about whether or not the item was for sale immediately.

I, too, understand why you’re frustrated about not getting a call, but I can tell you that there is a line out the door every single day I drive by. Add in Xmas traffic and this issue is probably pretty low priority. You’ll probably hear from them next week.

-Aveguy

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodcock1 View Post
    I wondered if anyone has any experience with Not Just Guns? I recently had a disappointing experience with their auctions.

I was actively bidding on a wednesday auction and had the high bid. I raised my auto bid on Wednesday morning, the day the auction was to close. About 4 hours before the close of the auction I checked to see if my bid was still winning or if I needed to raise my bid. To my surprise the gun was gone from my watch list. It was a little before 5, so I called to see what was going on.

I was told by a representative t hff at they sold the gun in the store. I was quite confused and inquired how a gun that was being actively bid on would be sold out from under the auction bidder. The representative had no good answer and said he would have the owner call with an explanation. I still havent heard from them.

Anyone else have this experience? Not sure how to proceed, as it clearly indicated that my bid was a legally binding contract to make the purchase.
    This was on the auction site as well. Sounds like proceeding in this case will take the form of finding the item in stock elsewhere:

Auction Co.'s Right to Terminate Purchase. If for any reason Auction Co. is unable to complete the sale of any purchase to buyer or provide such purchase free and clear of liens, even if the buyer was given notice that he is the high bidder and purchaser, Buyer agrees that the Auction Co. may terminate the purchase/agreement, in which case Auction Co.'s only liability shall be the return of any monies actually paid by buyer.

-Aveguy311

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveguy311 View Post
    I’m local to Not Just Guns and shop there regularly. Great place.

I understand your frustration but I also don’t see anything on their auction site saying the items are NOT for sale in the store and available on the auction only. If the item was that crucial to me that I’d go online and complain about it I’d have likely called the store to ask about whether or not the item was for sale immediately.

I, too, understand why you’re frustrated about not getting a call, but I can tell you that there is a line out the door every single day I drive by. Add in Xmas traffic and this issue is probably pretty low priority. You’ll probably hear from them next week.

-Aveguy
    Since when is a bidder on any auction site supposed to assume an item could also be for sale in a store. Its supposed to be disclosed in the auction !! And why have an Auction site if people are supposed to call and see if its available in a store ?? Since we are doing all this assuming i assume you work there ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Since when is a bidder on any auction site supposed to assume an item could also be for sale in a store. Its supposed to be disclosed in the auction !! And why have an Auction site if people are supposed to call and see if its available in a store ?? Since we are doing all this assuming i assume you work there ?
    I think this sums up my thoughts pretty darn good. I just wanted to share my experience with group as a heads up. An auction is an auction as soon as you take a bid, unless you have a reserve. There are plenty of other places to deal with, It won't be Not Just Guns for me again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast