Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Trigger pull scale, what do you like?

Got a Wheeler manual scale for Christmas, already started the return process.
    Guess I need something better, what do all of you like?
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    I've had a wheeler manual scale for a while now, seems decent enough. What sort of problems did you have with it?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Got a Wheeler manual scale for Christmas, already started the return process.
    Guess I need something better, what do all of you like?
    Depends on what I'm working on and how accurate I need to be.

My quick, go-to is a Lyman digital, it is fairly accurate (against my calibrated checking weights), is quick to use and does up to 10 pull averages. Disadvantage is; only goes up to 12 pounds pull and digital (load cell) type gauges are easily damaged if the max poundage is exceeded.

I also use (use a lot) is a Hanson hanging spring scale, it's tough as an anvil, holds calibration good but is only graduated in pounds and 1/2 pound increments so is just used for rough measurements and on higher poundage revolver double actions. (makes a good quick check and is quite usable for what it does).

My normal (final check) and ultimate trustworthy trigger pull gauge while final checking a trigger job is not a gauge but a homemade weighted long "L" arm that takes basic homemade calibrated weights, it also has a container on it to add lead bird shot for very fine weight check and adjustments.

I like to set all my similar guns to about the same trigger pull weight so I set the lift-weight up with the poundage that I am shooting for then just keep adjusting on the trigger pull and lifting the "L" arm lift weight with the trigger until the trigger beaks as the weight just starts to lift off my bench (lot of pro gunsmiths use this type of device). This type of trigger pull measuring never gets out of calibration or changes due to temperature swings or abuse).

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doslitros View Post
    I've had a wheeler manual scale for a while now, seems decent enough. What sort of problems did you have with it?
    Repeated test gave wildly different results.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Repeated test gave wildly different results.
    That could actually be the way that your are using it, with those spring type gauges you have to be very/very/very careful and precise that you STOP the pulling JUST at trigger breaks.

If you don't stop the pull before the trigger or gauge hook reaches the rear of trigger pull then you are measuring a deadheaded trigger and the pull weight will measure all over the map.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    That could actually be the way that your are using it, with those spring type gauges you have to be very/very/very careful and precise that you STOP the pulling JUST at trigger breaks.

If you don't stop the pull before the trigger or gauge hook reaches the rear of trigger pull then you are measuring a deadheaded trigger and the pull weight will measure all over the map.
    Hook placement and pressure angle matter a lot too. Put the hook on the top of the trigger vs. toward the bottom you'll get very different results as well as pulling at different angles.