Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Bird shot for home defense?

I know this subject has been on here before but what about six shots of three inch #4? If that don’t slow them down maybe 5 shots with a slug to follow up?

I am a Forum User
    In a pinch any size will take the wind outa their sails, if you are setting up for a “just in case” situation #4 bird is as small as I would go, BB would be better maybe even T if all you can find of the two are steel.

I would stay away from slugs, they could WAY over penetrate, go across the street into your neighbors house.

A guy I went to high school with took a load of birdshot in the face from 5 ft away.
    He's ugly, but otherwise fine.
    Another high school acquaintance tried to suicide with a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot. He's quite ugly, blind in one eye, absolutely crazy, but otherwise healthy.

Birdshot is for birds. If you have a slug to follow up, that should be the one in the chamber.

Or, how about just buying some self-defense buckshot.

There is a tremendous amount of data available, from reputable sources, regarding the efficacy of birdshot, buckshot, and slugs, and the pitfalls of each. Do some research. Take a shotgun class from MDFI, or other such school... or at least drop an email to the staff of one of these establishments.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    00 or #4 Buckshot. Birdshot doesn't penetrate deeply enough, and that's without even factoring having to penetrate heavy winter clothing first.

I am a Forum User
    You want to slow him down so he can potentially testify against you in court, or do you want to completely remove the threat of an intruder with ill intentions in your home?

The choice couldn't be simpler for me.
    Last edited by Quads; 12-29-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    You want to slow him down so he can potentially testify against you in court, or do you want to completely remove the threat of an intruder with ill intentions in your home?

The choice couldn't be simpler for me.
    In an America led by Slow Joe and the Ho, You Hurt 'em, You Pay for 'em
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

In 1970 my stepfather was shot in the face/ shoulder with a load of #6 rabbit/ pheasant load. 15yards is the story. Took his left eye. Trespasser hunting his land in Maybee.
    Guy said he thought he was shooting at a squirrel. Still has almost 200 pieces of shot in him to this day. German/ Danish so hard as coffin nails. Drove himself to the hospital.
    Spent a pleasant Christmas visit with him and my mom this year. Moral is USE PROPER DEFENSIVE AMMO WHEN YOU ARE DEFENDING SOMETHING OF VALUE.
    If I end up shooting an intruder with a shotgun after my immediate reach 120 rds of M193 and G17 full of Golden Sabers x5 are empty then the meal will be 15rds of #4 Buck 12ga from a spicy 1187 police. Bring your lunch!
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

If you say you have slugs, why start out with bird shot? Buck shot for the win!
    Active airport shooter

to get a good reference point you need to go shoot some stuff with bird shot and see how anemic it its, it can barely kill a squirrel 30 ft up a tree.

Either experiment yourself, or watch vids.

Unfortunately I could see someone really out of their mind on meth taking a couple shots with bird shot and not even trying to get out of your place. Its all noise, nothing on the other end. Its perfect to make some racket and get someone out of your front foyer. It will be the noise, not the hit that gets ride of them.

I've read many dozens of articles on this subject over the years. I have also fired many hundreds of different loads at different distances. (into cardboard, water melons, gallon water bottles, ice blocks, etc.. etc..)

My vote for home defense is #4 Buckshot. It's a good balance of energy without too much penetration.

Also look into the size of the impact of shotguns at home defense distances. They don't open up as big as most people think ---Regardless of choke type.

I also lien toward a 20 vs a 12 guage for home defense. It has plenty of power, second shots are easier, many family members can manage it.

Mark

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast