Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

An alternative approach to milling that GI 1911 slide...

The gun is accurate and 100% reliable, but the small GI sights are too much for my aged eyes, plus the sight picture is a strict 6 O'clock picture that I am not used to.. I thought about sending the slide to be milled for better sights but doing the math it was about $120 for milling and about $100 for new sights.. So I shopped around and found a stripped slide with sights already installed for $150 and bought it. I had extra parts laying around in my 1911 parts box (firing pin, firing pin spring and an Ed Brown extractor). The only thing I needed to buy was a slide plate for $10.. I tried the new slide with the nice sights and was able to get the preferred sight picture with the adjustable rear sights, plus the fiber optic sight was really nice and easy to see. So when I want to shoot the gun for fun (steel plates, bowling pins etc..) it wears the new slide, and when I want to shoot it like a GI WW era model, it wears the original slide..

So that was an alternative to milling the original slide..
    Last edited by JimSig; 01-21-2021 at 12:20 PM.

MGO Member
    A very nice setup, and the ability to have 2 firearms in one. Enjoy!