Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Experimenting with 1911 GI pictures to use as a desktop wall paper...

Playing around with an SDS 1911 GI replica to produce a nice wallpaper background picture for my desktop.. The problem is the 45ACP brass is too shiny.. It is runining the aged effect of the picture.. You can see that I took a fine sand paper to highlight the edges and add an aged character to a new gun but still failing to get the brass to blend in the picture.. I am thinking of shooting the brass couple times and then reload it without cleaning to get the aged effect.. For now here is what I have...
    Last edited by JimSig; 01-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I think I found the perfect background .. An old map of Europe.. Did some hand coloring to add some dramatic effect.. I still need the aged 45 ACP rounds..

Last edited by JimSig; 01-21-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Try using a brite blue background.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Try using a brite blue background.
    I can try a blue print as a background..

Dampen a paper towel with vinegar, then wipe the brass/bullet. The acetic acid will age the brass.

Or, place the rounds in a plastic bowl with a tight lid. Place a small container of ammonia (condiment cup, paper towel damp with ammonia in a open ziplock baggie) in the bowl, snap the lid shut.

Two popular methods to 'antique' brass.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Dampen a paper towel with vinegar, then wipe the brass/bullet. The acetic acid will age the brass.

Or, place the rounds in a plastic bowl with a tight lid. Place a small container of ammonia (condiment cup, paper towel damp with ammonia in a open ziplock baggie) in the bowl, snap the lid shut.

Two popular methods to 'antique' brass.
    thanks for the tip.. I'll try the vinegar trick first.. In the mean time, I ll try to reload some cases without cleaning to see if I get some dulling effect.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    thanks for the tip.. I'll try the vinegar trick first.. In the mean time, I ll try to reload some cases without cleaning to see if I get some dulling effect.
    Try steeping the brass in hot water before loading... that should darken it up too.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Try steeping the brass in hot water before loading... that should darken it up too.
    I think I got what I was looking for in the brass.. I used non cleaned brass and I wrapped it with a paper towel with some vinegar for couple hours.. I got some aging effect that is good enough for the picture.. I love the outcome.. Thanks..

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/IWtBS.jpg[/IG]
    Last edited by JimSig; 01-21-2021 at 12:18 PM.

I am a Forum User
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    I think I got what I was looking for in the brass.. I used non cleaned brass and I wrapped it with a paper towel with some vinegar for couple hours.. I got some aging effect that is good enough for the picture.. I love the outcome.. Thanks..

Oh wow!
    That looks amazing, Sir!

May I ask what camera you are using?
    And, self-taught, or did you take some photography classes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast