Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Question on what ammo to put into CMP M1 Garand

Recently bought a CMP M1 Garand from 1945 and stupidly didn't take the offer for ammo when I bought it, completely forgetting about the shortage and how M1's generally can't shoot modern hunting loads. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere is sold out of 30-06. The CMP and other websites that sell specific 150 gr ball ammo for the M1 are sold out and have no idea when they'll be back in stock. Dunham's shelves were cleared of everything. At a small local gun shop I was able to get a single box of Wolf steel case 140 grain soft point for basically an arm and a leg. I know what most of you are immediately thinking, never shoot steel in anything. I understand that, but I'm really only going to be shooting the gun every once in a while, probably no more than 50 rounds a month, if that. I've read on other forums if you're not doing frequent shoots, shooting a lot of ammo, 2-gun, or historical shoots, then steel is fine if that's all you've got. I'm just worried about pressure, and if the M1 can handle it. I know you're not supposed to shoot heavy grain bullets through it but I don't know if a lighter grain of 140 helps the case for being able to shoot it. Can't seem to find any info about the type of powder used or amount, but do know that the muzzle velocity is 2,791 fps and muzzle energy is 2,421 ft-lbs. Again I don't know if those numbers are even relevant to whether or not the gun can handle it. Just hoping that there's someone on here that either shoots M1's, antique guns, knows load specs, or just any info that would be helpful.

I get this stuff from my distributors when there isnt a panic going on.

Hope this helps:

Civilian Marksmanship Program forum CMP Forums (thecmp.org)

Garand Collectors Association (one of a series of three articles under the Resources tab) https://thegca.org/wp-content/upload...rcial-Ammo.pdf

Reloading Data (NRA) from Master Po's website (yeah, the blind guy from the Kung ** show) http://web.archive.org/web/200006200...rpo/M1load.htm

Recommended .30 caliber M1 loadings from the NRA
    147 - 155 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets
    IMR 3031 - 48.0 grains
    IMR 4895 - 49.0 grains
    IMR 4064 - 50.0 grains
    W748 - 48.0 grains
    AA2460 - 49.0 grains
    AA2520 - 51.0 grains
    AA2495 - 50.5 grains
    H4895 - 49.0 grains
    BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
    H335 - 49.0 grains
    RL-12 - 48.0 grains

165/168 grain FMJ, HP or SP bullets
    IMR 4895 - 47.0 grains
    IMR 4094 - 48.0 grains
    AA2520 - 47.5 grains
    AA2495 - 47.0 grains
    H4895 - 47.5 grains
    BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
    H335 - 47.0 grains
    RL-12 - 44.5 grains

173/175 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets

IMR 4895 - 46.0 grains
    IMR 4064 - 47.0 grains
    AA2460 - 46.0 grains
    AA2495 - 46.0 grains
    H4895 - 47.0 grains
    BLC-2 - 48.0 grains
    180 grain FMJ, SP or HPBT bullets
    IMR 4895 - 43.0 grains
    AA2460 - 46.5 grains
    AA2495 - 45.5 grains
    H4895 - 44.0 grains
    BLC-2 - 47.5 grains
    RL-12 - 41.5 grains

Master Po's comments
    These loads only duplicate military spec. velocities for the given bullet weight, using commercial cases and powders. If you are using military cases, drop all charges by 2 grains.

If you are looking for accuracy, drop all charges by 1 grain and work up .2 grains at a time.

Master Po's Ancient M1 load secret
    This is my personal M1 load I use in my CMP M1. It will shoot better than Master Po can. I worked this load up, as you should for your own rifle.

Remington .30/06 cases, flash holes deburred and weighed within 1 grain.
    Federal GM210M Primers (Master Po has heard the horror stories of Federal match primers in the M1/M1A rifles. If you're squeamish or new to reloading, use Winchester Large Rifle)
    47.0 grains IMR 4064
    Sierra 175 grain MatchKing
    Overall length 3.340 inches

This load, in my M1, duplicates almost perfectly the M72 match load specification with a very low standard deviation. Groups off the bench run 1 - 1.5 inches with the original 1945 barrel on the rifle. Of course, Grasshopper YMMV.

I am a Forum User
    Any of the old time commercial loadings should work fine--150gr Corelokt, Powershok and Powerpoint. Stay away from the Hornady Superformance, Federal Light Magnums, etc. The fragility of the M1 Garand has been overstated.
    If you're not sure, just wait a few months to shoot it while constantly looking online to see what's available.

I am a Forum User

Go get the ammo you declined.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Go get the ammo you declined.
    Yes I'll just call the CMP to schedule an appointment so I can drive to the CMP North in Port Clinton, Ohio to buy ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGunner View Post
    Yes I'll just call the CMP to schedule an appointment so I can drive to the CMP North in Port Clinton, Ohio to buy ammo.
    If you read your post it says nothing about going to cmp. People sell cmp rifles private party. I honestly never heard it phrased as a retailer offered someone ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    I had this with my Garand. I would just get the replacement gas plug so you don't have to worry about it but otherwise any M2 Ball ammo will work: Sellier & Bellot made some, PPU, Federal....not sure how much you'll be able to find now though.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com