Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canik 9mm Pistol - Your Thoughts?

Happy New Year Everyone!
    A non-gun friend of mine, against my advice, purchased a Canik 9mm(as yet unknown model) for home defense, eventual carry, etc. I know nothing about the pistol, but have been asked to show him and his family how to handle it. No one in the family has fired a gun before. What are your thoughts on the brand? I have no experience with the Canik. I have seen them for sale online, but never gave them a second thought. apparently, .38/.357 revolvers were too expensive, as were other, name-brand autos. Just looking for your opinions/thoughts...
    Thanks!
    costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

MGO Member
    I have a TP9SA that I picked up in a trade. I did not have high expectations of it but it turns out that I like to shoot it. It has a very nice trigger on it which shoots well. It breaks down very easy. I also like the decocker feature and has good capacity, 18 and 20 round mags. All in all it is a decent pistol for an inexpensive price.

I am a Forum User
    I played with one at the range a few years ago. Another buddy purchased one / range day. 9mm tactical something or other. Felt nice, functioned well, nice fit / finish, etc. They get very mixed reviews so take that for what it's worth. Most of the mainstream youtube gun Operators very rarely crap on a gun review. Don't bit the hand that feeds you? Don't know. From my limited time with it, (call it a box of ammo and a half hour) I didn't have any complaints. Would take it long before I would Taurus, Sccy, Kel-Tec, RIA, and a few others.

I am a Forum User
    I bought a Canik TP9SF three years back.. I loved everything about the gun (the trigger, the fit, finish, etc..) except I did not like the grip design which is the same type of design of the Walther PPQ. It is a personal preference for me and that's why I sold it. I even wrote an email to canik about the grip design and if they can ad one more insert to their design, but didn't hear from them. Obviously they are not used to feedback.

I also know three people at my local club that shoots caniks. Two have the SFX models with the red dot and one has the subcompact with the red dot.. They all like their caniks and haven't heard a single complaint from them.

3500 rounds through one of mine and has been flawless. I have lent it out to a few friends who helped with the round count.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I played with one at the range a few years ago. Another buddy purchased one / range day. 9mm tactical something or other. Felt nice, functioned well, nice fit / finish, etc. They get very mixed reviews so take that for what it's worth. Most of the mainstream youtube gun Operators very rarely crap on a gun review. Don't bit the hand that feeds you? Don't know. From my limited time with it, (call it a box of ammo and a half hour) I didn't have any complaints. Would take it long before I would Taurus, Sccy, Kel-Tec, RIA, and a few others.
    I would take over Kel tec and sccy, but I would take a RIA 1911 in a hurry before the canik.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 01-06-2021 at 12:21 AM.

They have a good bargain, good value rep. The prices have been creeping, they are more trusted walther's, cds, sw mp9 etc for the same price, no personally would have gone with a more trusted, tested, popular, more accessory rich 9 mm.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I would take over Kel tec and sccy, but I would take a RIA 1911 in a hurry before the canik.
    The Caniks are far and away better than the KelTec and SCCY pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    The Caniks are far and away better than the KelTec and SCCY pistols.
    Right. Thats how I was ranking them. My statement was in regards to quad. I agreed with him on keltec and scccy, but disagree on RIA. Keltec and sccy I have no interest in, zero. Canik sort of interests me, but its not so inexpensive to lure me away from walther, SA, SW, kahr and others that are barely by my perspective much more.

I would take a RIA 1911 over a canik.

They are not junk, I have not heard much on the warranty side, I am pretty anti turkey so very meh to me. I see them as mid low level guns for people that just want to say they have a gun, and who act like $50-150-200 more is the end of the world. Its a good gun for that guy.

I am glad people buy them if the alternative is keltec or hipoint.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!
    Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast