Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR/AK Spare Parts we should all stock

I was curious (hopefully some experienced armorers are around) ... what parts on a std AR/AK fail after prolonged use? I am thinking it might be wise to keep some stuff handy, as I suspect few of the low end AR/AK's around will handle high/prolonged use over years w/o parts failing.

I was thinking barrels, firing pins (BCG's?), springs, buffers ... any more things we should think on? Do gas blocks fail, mags do of course, how 'bout trigger parts? Just asking for some information.

MGO Member
    If you shoot bi-metal jacket bullets, you can burn it out in around 1000 rounds fired. So AK, Barrels and a Barrel Press. ARs Barrels and a spare BCG

I am a Forum User
    I can only speak for ARs but basically everything beside your upper, lower, muzzle break, and furniture. The quality of components definitely plays into the life span of a part so try to buy higher quality backup parts. Also you will not shoot out an AR barrel shooting steel case in 1000 rounds. The thing that kills barrels is heat. So no mag dumps.

Cotter pins, firing pin, extractor+pin+spring, ejector+pin+spring, gas tube-pin, gas key, cam pin, hammer/trigger pins, disconnector+spring, bolt catch, gas rings----would be the main spare parts for an AR, out of those I've had an extractor and it's pin need replaced after shooting with a 22lr kit and not cleaning the chamber which stuck a case and ripped the rim off bending the extractor and it's pin(my bad). And a disconnector and cam pin wear quickly because of improper heat treat. I have replaced a bolt latch on my buddies gun once because he didn't know not to dry fire just the lower. If you wanted to go all out add in a complete bolt and a barrel.

For an AK, there's not much. An extra trigger and springs and a firing pin.

I am a Forum User
    Since I saw this thread, thought I'd ask this, which I've been wondering for some time.
    Where is a good source for AR parts ? Any local shops stock quality AR parts?

Need to order all parts online ? If so, what companies sell higher quality parts ?

My PSA AR's work, but may not have the highest quality parts in them.
    Would like to replace some parts with higher quality ones.. ( i.e. a new extractor for my PA-10)

Would prefer to buy locally, as often shipping charge seem to be higher than cost of some small parts.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    I was curious (hopefully some experienced armorers are around) ... what parts on a std AR/AK fail after prolonged use? I am thinking it might be wise to keep some stuff handy, as I suspect few of the low end AR/AK's around will handle high/prolonged use over years w/o parts failing.

I was thinking barrels, firing pins (BCG's?), springs, buffers ... any more things we should think on? Do gas blocks fail, mags do of course, how 'bout trigger parts? Just asking for some information.
    On an ak just spring kits. Bolt or trunnion could break at 60,000 rds or something like that.

AR spring kit, and get a top quality new bolt carrier group.

Quote Originally Posted by JGrant View Post
    If you shoot bi-metal jacket bullets, you can burn it out in around 1000 rounds fired. So AK, Barrels and a Barrel Press. ARs Barrels and a spare BCG
    bi metal is soft steel, it won't hurt your extractor or your barrel. You could shoot it 30,000 times before you saw any wear that mattered, and it would still work fine.

The steel its rubbing against is all high quality, heat treated, hardened steel. Its the same thing as a file cutting steel, except you are thinking of it in reverse, the extractor is the file. The extractor is the hard high quality part. The casing is the mild steel, thats the nail, or burn on something you want to file.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    Since I saw this thread, thought I'd ask this, which I've been wondering for some time.
    Where is a good source for AR parts ? Any local shops stock quality AR parts?

Need to order all parts online ? If so, what companies sell higher quality parts ?

My PSA AR's work, but may not have the highest quality parts in them.
    Would like to replace some parts with higher quality ones.. ( i.e. a new extractor for my PA-10)

Would prefer to buy locally, as often shipping charge seem to be higher than cost of some small parts.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    www.AR15Sport.com

An extra rifle contains all the parts that could go wrong.

You just don’t throw a barrel in an AK, the spare rifle tip is much easier and quicker! You can burn a barrel up in a 1000 rounds if you do it in continuous mag dumps, maybe less...
    Active airport shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast