Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

IWI Jericho 941PL .40SW, REALLY hard to work slide

Got my hands on some .40S&W so I can contemplate taking the aforementioned pistol out to the range again soon. But I've discovered something.

Either my left hand / arm is STILL not back up to snuff (fractured the wrist BAD in June, surgery to get 2 plates in the wrist, finally wrapped OT in late August,) or the spring in that pistol is a LOT stiffer than I remember.

Pistol off safe, no magazine, and I can't get the slide back more than a couple millimeters. If I thumb the hammer back first, I can get the slide back it looks like far enough (I really need to get my snapcaps and verify this,) but hoo boy does it seem stiff, especially compared to my 92FS.

I realize this might be a long shot, but if anyone else has one of these, could you tell me if it's me or if I need to get the pistol looked at?

I am a Forum User
    Did you lube the slide and / or frame ?
    I prefer a thin coating of a teflon grease ("Superlube") instead of oil.. oil runs off, grease doesn't.
    If that doesn't help, you might try switching to a lighter weight slide spring..to build up your strength.

I am a Forum User
    So yesterday after I posted this, I tried an experiment. Held the pistol in my left hand and worked the slide (hammer up) with my right, and was able to do it.

So, yeah, it's my grip / arm / hand strength still not being back up to par.

OTOH, took the pistol along today on a range outing, still a nice to shoot pistol!

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    If you are slingshotting with thumb and forefinger, it's time for another approach. I have taught many elderly people with poor hand strength the following method. If you haven't already, try using the palm and four fingers, gun close to the chest, and push the grip forward rather than pulling back on the slide.
    Name:  How_to_Rack_the_slide_02.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  76.6 KB
    Careful not to pinch your palm in the ejection port.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu View Post
    If you are slingshotting with thumb and forefinger, it's time for another approach. I have taught many elderly people with poor hand strength the following method. If you haven't already, try using the palm and four fingers, gun close to the chest, and push the grip forward rather than pulling back on the slide.

Careful not to pinch your palm in the ejection port.
    Even trying that way, I wasn't able to left-hand the slide (although I might've been wimping out, the safety on the frame digs in!)

IIRC, the instructor when I took my CPL also recommended that style regardless, so I'm trying to change my habit (used to do the slingshot style)