Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Mounting plate vs milling slide for Red Dot Aight

Looking at pros / cons of mounting a Red Dot Sight (RDS) on a plate that installs in the rear dovetail vs having the slide milled. If I go the mounting plate route, I’m inclined to go with EGW. I’used other EGW products and found them to be well made and high quality. Here is what I’m looking at:
    https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-r...dot/?brand=737

The plus is that it doesn’t alter the firearm, it doesn’t require taking my pistol out of service for milling & refinishing. The only con I can think of is it basically puts the sight in a cantilevered position from the dove tail. That is why I think a good manufacturer is important.

Milling: pros- a solid mount to slide. Con - shield hast to ne cut & refinished. Milling is for a specific RDS, this might make changing later difficult or require reworking.

I’m not sure of cost of milling & refinishing, but the mounting plate is about $50 (it has to be better quality than the $17 one on Amazon)

Thoughts / comments / suggestions ??

I am a Forum User
    I have heard from many competition shooters that the dovetail mounts are very hard on dots. It leads to the fastest failure rate of dots. I would get the slide milled if I was in your position. Try to see if a local shop can do it so you do not have to pay shipping and hopefully will have a quicker turn around time. Try looking at atei or prasky gun works.