Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    MGO Member
    I'm "only" 39 years old and I saw potential ammo shortages coming from a mile away and I bought enough not only for my daughter who is 8, but also for any grand daughter I may have some day. I bought self defense ammo, hunting and practice ammo to last a lifetime. I've helped out a few very close friends, but other than that nothing is leaving my stash.

I've been buying for approximately 20 years and I've gone various directions selling weird calibers off and settling on a few. It has taken effort, but now I sit back and watch the drama. I do feel for you, but people have said many times to stock up. While I don't mind helping people out, I can't supplement everyone else's poor planning otherwise I will short my daughter.

Some people won't like this but it's the truth. I tire of all these complaints about the price and availability of ammo. When people have been saying loudly since 2016 to get while the gettins good

MGO Board of Directors

Not everyone had the resources to buy and store very large amounts of ammo when the prices were cheap. I am sure there were some that may have been nervous to be identified as having hoards of ammo since news stories call out 300 rounds as missive amounts of ammo. I would estimate a cost of about $100K at $,20 a round for a lifetime of ammo for me and my family to shoot 100 rounds a month. I have other things I needed to spend that kind of funds on.

Am I worried about running out of ammo, no, Actually more worried about having a group of people with blue uniforms and brown hats coming into my house taking any ammo I do have over a certain amount ( loosening tinfoil hat now)

If I can't help out a friend in need of some ammo, I'll move on.
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    I've never made over 60k in a year, when I first started buying I made 25k a year. If you consistently buy for 20 years you'll have enough. Of course I've never bought a new vehicle, never gone on a fancy vacation and consider my stash part of my retirement.

Everyone has priorities and if you see the writing on the wall you figure out a way to get it done. I have 4 kids too so I don't buy the excuse not everyone has the resources to get a solid stash of ammo. 10,000 rounds not including 22lr would have been easily done.

To be fair, I don't consistently shoot 100 rounds a month because I don't like to shoot my investment.

Sorry. The term "spare ammo" is not in my vocabulary.

I am a Forum User
    Apologies if 2 weeks is considered necromancy; I'm new here and can't tell exactly when it makes sense. Secondly, I realize this is an extraordinary wall of text. I imagine anyone who reads this will discover my leanings despite post count very quickly.

But I feel there's something novel to add with regards to the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    To keep gouging or to wait and give them an even better screwing down the road. That is the question.

Just don't ever expect any help from me or those like me that adhere to the same morals and values.
    We don't forget.
    It's actually worth pointing there is a positive moral/ethical argument of higher prices. When stores sold Toilet Paper last April at the same price as normal and Amazon placed price controls; etc, those who made it to the store just bought even more of it. This is because the value of the commodity was no longer the same as what it was.

So because of this people hoarded the stuff and everyone was freaking out many people couldn't actually buy it. If, instead, toilet paper's price had quadrupled the second the store saw someone buy 47 pallets of toilet paper then the next person who thought of hoarding would've thought twice. Note: There wasn't actually any shortage there. The supply chain was working properly and by a month later everyone was fine and the hysteria had passed.

Note: when a community becomes hysterical, they will pay anything for a commodity because they have brought emotion to a logical/reasonable decision.

Now let's talk ammo. People bought assloads of it at good prices and thus they have hoards and those who don't are lacking. Prices went up! What does this mean? It means people don't hoard quite as badly because it stings; so that means more people have access to the ammo because those who would've hoarded now have a price that makes it sting to do so.

Couple that with supply chain issues, Remington going under, etc, and you amplify the situation.

I don't like 23-to-32 cent primers more than the next guy; and I don't like 85 cent AR rounds; but I bought them anyway AND I could find them because it's priced out the hoarders well enough. I can go on ammoseek *right now* and buy 5000 rounds if I'd like without any issue; because the price is high enough that someone else has not done so.

Actual capitalism, price discovery, etc is an entirely voluntary system. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. I'm sure you can provide exceptions to the rule; but exceptions prove the rule.

I get that when you see prices fluctuate like crazy it makes you feel like you missed out or that people are being gouged; but I *voluntarily* bought 85 cent 223 and I *voluntarily* bought 23 cent primers. And I'm happy that I had the opportunity to do so. Also note; they didn't try to charge $25 a round. No one in their right mind would enter into that transaction. Price gouging has not occurred; merely inflation of a commodity that is in drastically higher demand.

I'll let you in on a secret -> beneath the excessively handsome mystique, extreme charisma, and mind-blowing intellect: I'm a giant nerd. I bought all kinds of Magic: The Gathering cards and whatnot in the last decade or so. Turns out that over time (and especially right now) their prices have inflated drastically (just like the stock market, housing market, ammo market, and everything else.) In order to convince me to go through the pain of posting it on ebay and shipping it and dealing with customers and monitoring things for sales; the price has to be substantially up. Do you expect me, a random dude, to abide by some code where I say "well I bought this 10 years ago for $60 and the going rate is $270; I guess I'll sell it at $60."

That may be a very nice thing of me to do, but it's also stupid. So we might discuss how to fall within your moral guidelines but make it sufficiently attractive for me to engage in the sale:
    Should I charge 60 + inflation?
    60 + inflation + interest?
    60 + inflation + interest + having-to-deal-with-selling-online annoyance fee?

What an inefficient way to live and perceive the world that I abide by the random moral musings of a forum poster who probably cannot describe the appropriate price to me of that commodity.

Instead, price-discovery in the market (and my own marketing of the given card) has allowed me to find a price that both I (the seller) and they (the buyer) are happy with; and additionally; with very little effort on my part. It is win win; which is exactly why it is ethical for me to do so. If the buyer is *forced* to buy that commodity from me; which no one on here has had happen; then the ethical dilemma lies in the application of force (e.g. theft); not with the price.

So with that schpiel out of the way, there's a compounding factor:
    The fed printed 35% of all dollars ever printed last year.
    They're about to do it again.
    Prices are going up my friend. You will never see 25 cent AR ammo again in your lifetime.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567