Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Should I sell my spare ammo, or keep hoarding it?

So I have at least four thousand rounds of ammo I will never use. Should I sell it now, or wait for prices to go even higher? I feel like I'm playing the stock market I've got a lot of extra 12GA buckshot, 22lr, 9MM including JHP, 5.56, and other stuff. I'm a hoarder, not a prepper. I'm wanting to make a buck before ammo stocks replenish, but overcoming my hoarding tendencies is an issue. I feeling that not just Vista Outdoors, but PPU, S&B, Aguila, Barnual, and others will take up the slack on ammo supplies eventually. Ammo prices seem to be halfway decent on the Ammo For Sale on here. But on Gunbroker the prices are crazy. $45 a box for 9MM ball ammo is what it is selling for, and I've got 9BPLE. Not offers, actual bids. Should I sell on GB, wait for higher prices, or just keep hoarding it?
    - Joe

I am a Forum User
    I just went thru that same dilemma only possibly from a different angle. I bought my AR's and thousands of rounds of ammo a couple years ago when I found out I had cancer and set out fulfilling my bucket list, those particular shooters were on that list (1st item was an R1 Yamaha crotch rocket though - still got it). When the prices sky rocketed on ammo my instinctive frugal side kicked in which destroyed all the pleasure I had out of doing ammo dumps in my dual feed drum, binary triggered AR15 (didn't have time to get there with my AR10) and the ammo I bought for 17 cents a round got to 85 cents - $100 for 8 seconds of fun was just not my style. Then my business brain kicked in (was a business owner for years = money management minds, ouch) and I started seeing $$$$'s that could be added to another bucket list item of mine - 1967 Big Block Corvette that I am presently searching for. I thought about doing as you are suggesting and actually did pursue the big bucks in selling my ammo. Had a bunch of it sold at just under Ammoseek prices. I then ran into a HUGE snag concerning shipping. I found out that I could not ship the ammo as it was shipped to me without going thru a bunch of hoops. I even tried to work thru my local FFL and offered to pay him to ship for me. He wouldn't touch the stuff and said he had the same issues. I did manage to sell some of it here on the site but found it more advantageous to include the ammo with the guns that used the ammo, that worked. I know how you feel about it being like playing the stock market, it is crazy! I am still not convinced that the powers that be don't have their fingers on the scale of ammo production and that we are in the twilight zone of seeing the gun control they have threatened for years fulfilled by eliminating ammo from the equation BUT, I do see the possibilities that this is all about new gun owners needing ammo too and that as supply comes around it is possible for ammo prices to go down. I chose to make my decision based on immediate bucket list needs and take advantage of the current ammo climate. Which ever way you decide to go I wish you the best cause, after all,, we are still capitalist (buy low, sell high and expand on the profits),, for the time being any - maybe, maybe not LOL

MGO Member
    What you sell today you will not be able to replace this panic possible to be the last under what's coming I would rather have my stash loose value than not have it at all but your life crises dictates everythin

MGO Member
    If you are some combination of a white Christian patriotic Male then I would keep your ammo and guns especially if you have children or grandchildren

MGO Member
    If all I had was 4K extra the last thing I would be thinking about is selling any. This shortage is going to last a loooong time.

MGO Member
    The worse is yet to come under the democrats. Keep it.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Well, one thing that has been talked about in recent years is curtailing the internet sales of ammo loophole. I think that will be in the democrat first strike. You know, “close the gate before you round ‘em up”.
    You might not have as much “spare” ammo as you think.
    Accept Climate Change: ADAPT!!!

MGO Member
    How do you tell if you have "spare" ammo?
    With sons, grandchildren and not knowing if or when it can be replaced, at decent prices, I don't think I have any.
    I don't want to give up the family time, up north shooting in the summer.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I picked a number I want for each gun I own. I have that much plus extra. I only shoot the extra. I learned my lesson in 07-08.

So do lot let yourself run dry or have just 50 rds of 9mm or something pathetic like that.

I have plenty of extra not rooms full but I have more ammo cans full that I know off the top of my head, something like 30 now, plus a whole trunk full of shotgun stuff.

No interest in selling, it seems like a pain in the butt.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I picked a number I want for each gun I own. I have that much plus extra. I only shoot the extra. I learned my lesson in 07-08.

So do lot let yourself run dry or have just 50 rds of 9mm or something pathetic like that.

I have plenty of extra not rooms full but I have more ammo cans full that I know off the top of my head, something like 30 now, plus a whole trunk full of shotgun stuff.

No interest in selling, it seems like a pain in the butt.
    Plus in resale how much money are you going to realistically make? With 4,000 rounds? A couple grand tops...I pay more than that each year for insurance, way more. It sounds like good, cheap insurance to me.

Now, if I was going to make a couple hundred thousand and pay off my house, then yes I'd sell. But not worth it if you are just making a couple thousand.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast