Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

UPDATE Wilson spring kit in S&W 686

This is an UPDATE from a earlier post about installing a Wilson spring kit in a S&W 686. I finally got to the range and shot my 686 with the spring kit installed. I shot 150 rds. of my reloaded 38 special, using CCI primers. The single action trigger pull was really nice and the double action pull was super, but I did have 2 light primers strikes, but the rounds fired on the second hit. When I got home I put in a fired small pistol primer, minus the anvil between the main spring tension screw and the spring. The primer material is about .015 thick and it gave me a little more tension on the main spring. Yesterday, I went to a PPC practice and put another 120 rds. through the gun, I did have one light primer hit, again using CCI primers which are kind of hard. I did some reading on the S&W 686 and found out that there is a small problem with the firing pins as they come from the factory, they are too short, and if you do anything to lighten up trigger pull etc. you are going to have a problem with light primer strikes. I ordered a extended firing pin from Cylinder and Slide/Brownells. When I got home from the range, I installed the extended firing pin which measured .510, the stock pin measured .493 and removed the primer spacer from the tension screw. I think my problem has been solved, now have to go out to the range and give it a try.

Nice write up Dennis. I put the Wilson kits in 3 of my J-Frames and I love them and I have had no problems. I have 1 J-Frame that came from S&W performance center and the trigger was fine so no Wilson kit for that one.

MGO Member
    I went to the range and shot my 686, very accurate, nice single and double action trigger pull now, but still had 4 light primer hits. I started scratching my head on this. All 4 rounds fired on the second attempt. I only thing I can figure out is that when I reloaded the ammo with CCI primers, some of them were very hard to seat, and I think these 4 were not seated below flush, as they should be, all the other 96 rounds had great primer contact. I think hammer hit the firing pin which absorbed most of the power by seating the primer deeper, and the second attempt, fired the shell. I reloaded another 100 rd. with 50 using CCI and 50 with the softer Winchester primers, I could really tell the difference when seating the Winchester primers.

I am a Forum User
    Federal primers are the only ones that work with 100% reliability in my revolvers, all of which have spring kits or trigger jobs.

Not a 686, but I did a Wilson kit in my SRH. None of the three supplied main springs could light off CCI’s (small rifle). I ended up just going back to the factory main spring and used the lighter trigger spring. It worked fine with the Winchester and Remington primers. CCI’s are just hard.

I have a Wilson in my 66-1, and have never had a problem with it, but have only used Winchesters with small pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Not a 686, but I did a Wilson kit in my SRH. None of the three supplied main springs could light off CCI’s (small rifle). I ended up just going back to the factory main spring and used the lighter trigger spring. It worked fine with the Winchester and Remington primers. CCI’s are just hard.

I have a Wilson in my 66-1, and have never had a problem with it, but have only used Winchesters with small pistol.
    Since small rifle primers are designed to work under higher pressure, I can see where you would have problems with them.
    Lighten up Francis.

MGO Member
    Why would you use small rifle primers in a pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post

.454 casull requires them.

I am a Forum User
    I installed an Apex spring kit into my S&W 642. The trigger pull was very smooth however I had several misfires using the kit so I uninstalled it

Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post
    Other than the Casull requiring them, many reloaders are using rifle primers because they can't get pistol primers. There is a severe shortage of primers, powder, bullets and cases going on.
    Lighten up Francis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast