Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    That has to be a handful to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post
    That has to be a handful to shoot.
    In some revolvers it is, but the Toklat is fairly tame with full house (240gr at 1900fps) .454. Shooting .45 colt, even tier II .45 colt, is much more like a .38 than a big bore. It’s a pig though, and dwarfs a 686. IIRC that load is like 32 grains of #9, more than 50% more than a max load .44 mag of the same bullet weight, and making rifle-like pressure (65,000psi SAMMI max).

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 01-18-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Cool picture.

Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    Cool picture.
    Always reminds me of this every time I light it off, lol.

It doesn’t matter the powder either. As soon as pressures start getting north of 50,000psi it starts throwing some monsters out of the cylinder gap, very little out of the muzzle though.

Continuing with the thread though, I have a charter arms .45 colt that is light striking some factory loads I have laying around, and some hand loads with WLP’s. Entirely factory new. It does fine with remingtons, but I ordered a extra strength spring to try and help it out a bit.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denniscoon@aol.c View Post
    Why would you use small rifle primers in a pistol?
    .357 magnum , FYI CCI small pistol magnum primers are SRP

I am a Forum User
    I've got a no dash 686 that I bought new back in the 80's that's had that early trigger rework they had after that cop said his gun went off half cocked. I was wondering if I should send it in for the second recall? The only problem I've ever had with it is one chamber needs a polish.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBull View Post
    I've got a no dash 686 that I bought new back in the 80's that's had that early trigger rework they had after that cop said his gun went off half cocked. I was wondering if I should send it in for the second recall? The only problem I've ever had with it is one chamber needs a polish.

Half cock? Do you mean the hammer falls before the full draw of the trigger in DA? I didn’t think S&W DA guns had a half cock function.

I’ve not dealt witH smith on a modified gun though, not sure if they’d still honor it if there are obvious signs of it being worked on. They are great to deal with in my experience with factory virgin guns though.

I got that Wolff spring in for the Charter .45 colt. Good lord is it heavy. I had a hell of a time getting it in place, and is double the tension of the factory spring. Pushed the DA pull up to Nagant type DA weight. But, the hammer drops with authority now, not just a light snap. That should take care of the light strike issues, but good lord is it a heavy action now.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    Half cock? Do you mean the hammer falls before the full draw of the trigger in DA? I didn’t think S&W DA guns had a half cock function.

I’ve not dealt witH smith on a modified gun though, not sure if they’d still honor it if there are obvious signs of it being worked on. They are great to deal with in my experience with factory virgin guns though.

I got that Wolff spring in for the Charter .45 colt. Good lord is it heavy. I had a hell of a time getting it in place, and is double the tension of the factory spring. Pushed the DA pull up to Nagant type DA weight. But, the hammer drops with authority now, not just a light snap. That should take care of the light strike issues, but good lord is it a heavy action now.
    Yep, they had a recall early for the issue. A cop shot someone and blamed the gun. They could replicate whatever it was on his gun. The gun is unmolested other than that rework I'm wondering if I should bother with the one for the hammer nose and firing pin bushing?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBull View Post
    Yep, they had a recall early for the issue. A cop shot someone and blamed the gun. They could replicate whatever it was on his gun. The gun is unmolested other than that rework I'm wondering if I should bother with the one for the hammer nose and firing pin bushing?

If you want the upgrade done, go for it. The worst they can say is no.

I’ve only sent one gun in for an “upgrade”, and regretted doing it. But it was an auto, and they put in a totally different fire control group. I knew what the malfunction was, and knew it wouldn’t be an issue for me, but sent it in anyway. The trigger is significantly worse, and they butchered a machine process on the slide. It must not have bothered me too much though, I still own, shoot, and carry it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    If you want the upgrade done, go for it. The worst they can say is no.

I’ve only sent one gun in for an “upgrade”, and regretted doing it. But it was an auto, and they put in a totally different fire control group. I knew what the malfunction was, and knew it wouldn’t be an issue for me, but sent it in anyway. The trigger is significantly worse, and they butchered a machine process on the slide. It must not have bothered me too much though, I still own, shoot, and carry it.
    It turned out that it was the hammer nose and firing pin bushing that was done back then and the FFL that S&W had me drop it off at had fed me a line of BS about what was done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12