Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    just curious. not up on the batfe /nfa stuff. not my wheelhouse.

but, if so.e had a suppressor, and died. what specific steps.would the estate need to take
    to destroy it? (assuming no resale involved)

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    just curious. not up on the batfe /nfa stuff. not my wheelhouse.

but, if so.e had a suppressor, and died. what specific steps.would the estate need to take
    to destroy it? (assuming no resale involved)
    From the original thread on the subject:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    I think what you're looking for his in here: https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3825

Same article on authors' legal web site (they are both attorneys): https://www.ficarettalegal.com/remov...-firearms-act/

Be sure to document the destruction itself (pictures, before & after, etc.). Make sure pics include serial number.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    D. SILENCERS

The NFA’s definition of “firearm” includes any silencer, as defined in the GCA, 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24). The GCA defines “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” to include “any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or silencer muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.” Accordingly, to remove a silencer from the NFA, every baffle, wipe, and other component must be melted, crushed or otherwise destroyed. ATF advises in the National Firearms Act Handbook, ATF e-Publication 5320.8. section 2.5.1 (available on ATF’s website at www.atf.gov) that a silencer may be destroyed by completely severing each component by means of a cutting torch that has a tip of sufficient size to displace at least one-quarter inch of material at each cut location. Outer tubes of a silencer may be destroyed by crushing them flat in lieu of cutting with a torch.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Ok, the question which started this debacle...

inadvertently

In an inadvertent manner; heedlessly; carelessly; inconsiderately; unintentionally.
    adv.

- Unintentionally, because of an oversight.
    adv.
    without knowledge or intention

The question posed was; what to do once a suppressor has been ACCIDENTALLY (inadvertently, unintentionally, without intention, because of an oversight) destroyed.

No one is looking to destroy a suppressor. But once it has, inadvertently, how does one go about removing it from the BATFE registry.
    Posted by Coctailer on page one of the original thread

"Ive had people send me NFA stuff for destruction and I jsut write a letter t oNFA saying the procedure I used and that it is no longer under their purview.
    I used them as displays."

Not sure why this was such a controversial question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12