Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Does a Arsenal SAM7 SF need to be registered as a pistol in Miichigan ? One Dealer Says Yes One Says No ?

Arsenal Sam7 SF With the stock folded and the muzzles brake removed measures 26 inches from end of the barrel to the end of the receiver,
    With the muzzles brake attached its over 26 inches.
    Can anyone for certain clarify, I have asked two licensed dealers in Mich one says is needs to be registered as a hand gun and one says it does not .

No, it does not. I purchased one not too long ago and the question came up. 3 different people measured and it just made the cut. Barely but it made it. This was at a very reputable gun dealer as well.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by darnette View Post
    No, it does not. I purchased one not too long ago and the question came up. 3 different people measured and it just made the cut. Barely but it made it. This was at a very reputable gun dealer as well.
    Did you measure with the muzzle brake on or off ? What did you come up with for a measurement ?

Quote Originally Posted by silver1903 View Post
    Did you measure with the muzzle brake on or off ? What did you come up with for a measurement ?
    Muzzle brake off. 2 employees came up with 26-1/8" and the 3rd measured 26-1/16". Hairs count.

I am a Forum User
    So at 26 inches it would need to be registered as a pistol ?

So at 26 inches it would need to be registered as a pistol ?
    Yes
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bu3...20a%20firearm.

I am a Forum User
    What I'm not clear about is if the muzzle brake can count and lengh or not ?

What I'm not clear about is if the muzzle brake can count and lengh or not ?
    No, it is measured by the shortest, operable length. If the muzzle brake was fixed/pinned then that would be factored into the measurable length. The muzzle brake on the SAM7 is removable, without tools even. So it is measured from the end of the receiver to the end of the barrel in the case of the SAM7

So if someone has a standard rifle, then adds a folding stock that makes operating length <= 26", how should it be registered? Submit RI-060 with self as seller and buyer?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmusico View Post
    So if someone has a standard rifle, then adds a folding stock that makes operating length <= 26", how should it be registered? Submit RI-060 with self as seller and buyer?
    No, for the 1,987th time, there's no legal way to complete a RI60 without an actual transaction of a complete pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast