Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Looking for a safe and for advice

I'm looking to upgrade from my small gun locker to a 30 - 40+ gun safe. Field and stream is always on sale at Dunhams, 60 gun safe for ~$600. Price sounds great but if they can be broken into in less than 10 minutes...

Anyone have an old safe they want to sell?

Anyone have any advice on which safes to avoid? Is a safe under $1000 even worth spending the money on, or should I just keep my locker until upgrading to a better ~$3k safe

Thanks in advance for any help / advice

MGO Member
    Couple things probably apply here: (probably others)

1. you get what you pay for...BUT be careful
    2. buy once, cry once

It seems as if the most common safe advice here on MGO is to buy twice the size you expect to need. I'd agree with this. Buy BIG! After a home break in, I bought a big ass 660 pound Cannon '64 gun' safe at Tractor Supply. It is heavy, and won't be going up the stairs very easily. I use quotation marks because it might hold 64 Red Ryder Daisys...might! I have half of the inside taken up by the shelves they provide to keep important papers and other stuff. The other half holds maybe 15 guns, including my .50 BMG Armalite, which has to sit diagonally to fit. This is a real pain. If your long guns are not that long, it is a good, 5 foot high vault. But all/most vaults can be defeated, if that is what they broke in to steal. It will keep the 'honest' people honest. I've also added a home security system and now have a seperate firearms insurance policy. A homeowner's policy is of little help. My Allstate investigator kept trying to accuse me of robbing my own house. Paid me $134 for a stolen Colt Series 70 1911. "But it's a 35 year old gun"... I'm done with Allstate forever...not that I'm vindictive or anything!

I bought a Cannon partly because it had pass through USB and 120 volt AC ports. This way, i can run a USB cable into the back from a camera or computer, and use the 120 volt plug for a dehumidifier rod. I thought this was better than drilling holes in a new vault.

My old 100 pound Treadlock 'vault' (actually more of a locking cabinet) was not touched in the break in, but I didn't want to chance it, since the bad guys saw that what I had was not very sturdy. It now is full of my ammo stash. I bought a $100 Stack On small vault to hold my cheap guns. It was about $120 or so at Dunham's. Comes with only two keys. Stack On customer service could not or would not help me get two more keys. I won't buy another Stack On product, but others don't seem to have issues with them. Dunham's has many different brands. None are probably as good as a Liberty or Fort Knox vault, and many at Dunham's and elsewhere are probably made by the same manufacturer and just branded differently.

Finally, the actual combo dial vs. keypad might be a concern. I think a dial is probably better, but kind of hard to find these days. My Cannon is a touch keypad, but I'd rather have a combo dial.

These are just my thoughts. I'm sure others will share their thoughts as well. This is what is great about this site!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

MGO Member
    My wife surprised me with a Liberty Franklin safe several years ago. I really like it. It has the digital keypad, which I like, but I understand the negatives. Mine also has the electric outlet setup, good for lights, a dry rod, and to keep an old cell phone in there and fully charged.

Like costanza said, the number of gun rating is optimistic. I also have shelves for papers, external hard drive, wife’s good jewelry, etc. I’m just below half the rating but remember, scopes and AR type grips, along with the factory grooves in the safe shelves kill the potential capacity. Best bet is to get some Rifle Rods and ditch the factory grooves.
    Last edited by Ron L; 02-19-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Official Curmudgeon
    Detroit Area Chapter
    Terre Haute Torque & Recoil Society

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Couple things probably apply here: (probably others)

1. you get what you pay for...BUT be careful
    2. buy once, cry once
    Very true

Quote Originally Posted by Ron L View Post
    My wife surprised me with a Liberty Franklin safe several years ago. I really like it. It has the digital keypad, which I like, but I understand the negatives. Mine also has the electric outlet setup, good for lights, a dry rod, and to keep an old cell phone in there and fully charged.

Like costanza said, the number of gun rating is optimistic. I also have shelves for papers, external hard drive, wife’s good jewelry, etc. I’m just below half the rating but remember, scopes and AR type grips, along with the factory grooves kill the potential capacity. Best bet is to get some Rifle Rods and ditch the factory grooves.
    Good point, I've come to the conclusion I definitely need to stay in the 60 gun range, at the very least 46+

Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    It seems as if the most common safe advice here on MGO is to buy twice the size you expect to need. I'd agree with this. Buy BIG! After a home break in, I bought a big ass 660 pound Cannon '64 gun' safe at Tractor Supply. It is heavy, and won't be going up the stairs very easily. I use quotation marks because it might hold 64 Red Ryder Daisys...might! I have half of the inside taken up by the shelves they provide to keep important papers and other stuff. The other half holds maybe 15 guns, including my .50 BMG Armalite, which has to sit diagonally to fit. This is a real pain. If your long guns are not that long, it is a good, 5 foot high vault. But all/most vaults can be defeated, if that is what they broke in to steal. It will keep the 'honest' people honest. I've also added a home security system and now have a seperate firearms insurance policy. A homeowner's policy is of little help. My Allstate investigator kept trying to accuse me of robbing my own house. Paid me $134 for a stolen Colt Series 70 1911. "But it's a 35 year old gun"... I'm done with Allstate forever...not that I'm vindictive or anything!

I bought a Cannon partly because it had pass through USB and 120 volt AC ports. This way, i can run a USB cable into the back from a camera or computer, and use the 120 volt plug for a dehumidifier rod. I thought this was better than drilling holes in a new vault.

My old 100 pound Treadlock 'vault' (actually more of a locking cabinet) was not touched in the break in, but I didn't want to chance it, since the bad guys saw that what I had was not very sturdy. It now is full of my ammo stash. I bought a $100 Stack On small vault to hold my cheap guns. It was about $120 or so at Dunham's. Comes with only two keys. Stack On customer service could not or would not help me get two more keys. I won't buy another Stack On product, but others don't seem to have issues with them. Dunham's has many different brands. None are probably as good as a Liberty or Fort Knox vault, and many at Dunham's and elsewhere are probably made by the same manufacturer and just branded differently.

Finally, the actual combo dial vs. keypad might be a concern. I think a dial is probably better, but kind of hard to find these days. My Cannon is a touch keypad, but I'd rather have a combo dial.

These are just my thoughts. I'm sure others will share their thoughts as well. This is what is great about this site!
    Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Your cannon safe has a plug and is 660lb? I couldnt find one with a plug under 800lb.

I plan to move several more times before settling down. When Im finally in a house I like, I plan to build a walk in safe but until then I'd like something I can "easily" move with me from house to house, but without being too easy. I'm thinking over 400lb, but under 600lb. I want the plug inside the safe as you guys have suggested, and Ive found I would prefer 1.5"+ rods all the way around the door, instead of the smaller rods just on one side. With these things in mind, most of the safes im seeing (with the plug and the better safety features) are over 600lb, most are 800lb+. I'm okay with a keypad as I agree that its hard to find the combination locks now. Have I just not been looking enough to find the right safe? Perfect safe being 60 gun with plug and rods all around the door.

I am a Forum User
    I would bolt it to the wall, so it can't easily be put on it's back for prybar attacks to the door.
    I put mine up on blocks and a block between it and the wall, where it's bolted to the wall, for air circulation.
    If possible put it in a corner, bolt side to the wall, less room use a pry bar on the door.
    Most locks, electronic and dial use the same "footprint" so they can easily be swapped. LaGard makes a key lock, search LaGard 2200 or 2270. These can be rekeyed too. They are also called container locks.
    A quality dial lock can have the combination changed (with in certain limits, such as how close the numbers can be)
    You also buy a 4 number combination lock, rather than 3 number lock.

I am a Forum User
    I'll go against the grain here. I do not recommend a larger safe. I found the sweet spot for me is to get a decent quality 5' tall by 3' wide safe. that's going to weigh somewhere around 650#, which is within the realm of reason for a few strong folks to move. Then bolt it down securely. If you need more space, then get another just like it and plant it next to it. I feel like this increases your security because if you ever do come up against a determined thief they'll have to work their way into two separate containers to get all your stuff.

I especially like that option because I'm about to move mine to its fifth home and I've only hired someone to move it once (and that was just to load it onto the trailer because I had them there moving other stuff anyway, my buddies and I unloaded it and put it in the house on the destination end).

I have twin toddlers, so I also have a couple of quick-access single pistol lockboxes (I've experimented with a few but I like the Vaultek and Hornady ones I'm using now) and like a 20" cube safe in my bedroom for carry guns and such. Those are almost no security against theft but great for keeping things out of curious hands.

I am a Forum User
    I would go with Parkanzky, I did the same thing. I bought a couple of safes because they are easier to move and find a good place for. It will also take more time and work to open more than one safe. You can also hide them fairly well from plain sight. I would insist you put them in such a place where they can be bolted to the floor or walls or both. Having a gun cabinet fairly visible with no really expensive things in it it a great time waster for crooks that like to hit and run. Anything can be defeated if the crook knows what they are after and bring the right tools. Most B & E turds are in for a quick grab and go. On a hard floor you can use golf balls or 1" doll rods to move a safe. For stairs you can rent a hand truck specifically made for moving safes. Good luck my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nwforce13 View Post
    Very true

Good point, I've come to the conclusion I definitely need to stay in the 60 gun range, at the very least 46+

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Your cannon safe has a plug and is 660lb? I couldnt find one with a plug under 800lb.

I plan to move several more times before settling down. When Im finally in a house I like, I plan to build a walk in safe but until then I'd like something I can "easily" move with me from house to house, but without being too easy. I'm thinking over 400lb, but under 600lb. I want the plug inside the safe as you guys have suggested, and Ive found I would prefer 1.5"+ rods all the way around the door, instead of the smaller rods just on one side. With these things in mind, most of the safes im seeing (with the plug and the better safety features) are over 600lb, most are 800lb+. I'm okay with a keypad as I agree that its hard to find the combination locks now. Have I just not been looking enough to find the right safe? Perfect safe being 60 gun with plug and rods all around the door.
    Just a couple more thoughts from my overactive brain. The 120 volt plug inside is a huge advantage for me for a dehumidifier rod and lights. What sold me on this particular Cannon was the pass-thru USB port, so I could mount a camera on top of my vault and get video of the thief stored inside my vault. It has been 8 years, and I still have no USB camera. Duh! I think the vault was $800 plus tax and delivery to my garage. Remember that the best vault means nothing if you forget or are too LAZY to lock up all your weapons and valuables. I WAS lazy and did not lock up five of my guns immediately. One was recovered by the DEA in a raid last year, the others are lost for good. My HD pump 12 gauge was taken from behind my bedroom door, where it would have been a great spot IF I were home. Lock up all your guns except your carry gun when you are not home. Let my stupidity be a lesson!
    Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

If someone is in your house with a battery powered angle grinder for more than 10 minutes they will be able to get into any sub 2000 safe most likely. Insurance and not advertising that you have guns is what will save you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast