Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Range day learning experience...

Namely, make a checklist of what you need before you go...

Two staples are not *QUITE* enough to keep a target flat when there's a bit of a wind...

Still had a good day on the range, which is a positive, but annoying trying to hit the target and be able to see the hits...

Now the checklist is stuck to the gun safe for future range trips.

Editing to add:
    And a tool kit, especially if you've been messing with the height of your cheek riser!
    And a cleaning kit, so if you need to try to push out a squib (/me crosses fingers, haven't had one yet!)
    And a first aid kit, just in case (as next time I drive a staple through my thumb and didn't bring the kit!)

I am a Forum User
    Here's most the things That go in, or stay in my shooting bag...

firearms want to shoot

enough ammo to feed each one taken to the range

magazines (plural), in case the 1 mag you take has or develops issues

cleaning items (rod, brushes,Q-tips, solvent , patches & a rag) ...+ a squib rod, pocket knife.

a few different size / type screwdrivers, or 1 driver with various tips. .. mine get used by a lot of other shooters @ the range that didn't bring one.
    also a bushing wrench, for removing snug 1911 barrel bushings.

eye & ear protection, always keep a few extra sponge type to use under my muffs, or for shooters that forgot them.

Targets.. I carry an large envelope filled with asst. size / shape /style targets .

a roll of MASKING Tape... Staple gun can run out of staples, or stop working... Tape always works. Tape is also useful for covering holes in targets, if needed / wanted.

pen / pencil / small notebook.. for recording info I want / need to follow up on.

small first aid kit, with small bottle of peroxide, & band aids.

several small plastic bags, w/ zip closures, are good for putting gun parts, brass, whatever you might need them for.

added..: forgot to mention I carry a small plastic bag with about a dozen roofing nails. .. use them to hold targets to foam backing @ outdoor range (tape doesn't stick)
    I tried using thumbtacks, but they're too short,.. toothpicks work, if it's not too windy. Roofing nails are like large thumbtacks, with large heads & a longer post...they work great.
    Last edited by joepistol; 01-19-2021 at 02:31 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Great tips from both ..

I am blessed to be a member in a club where the person who is responsible for chairing the pistol committee had vision. He placed permanent steel target of various sizes at 25 yards for people who like to practice.. 99% of the time I visit the pistol range I practice on the steel targets. The only time I place a target stand with a paper target is when I am developing a new load for a new powder or to sight a newly purchased handgun.. In current days I am not doing either LOL.. I can barely stick to what I have..

I am a Forum User
    I have a range bag that stays loaded and topped off, and then gun bags for whatever guns I am taking that day.

Range bag has:
    Lots of different types of targets
    Hearing protection (electronic muffs and in-ear) plenty of spares as well.
    Batteries
    Staplers
    Staples
    Squib rod
    Leatherman MUTT
    TQ
    EMT sheers
    First aid kit
    Trauma kit
    Eye protection
    Gun Lube
    Range finder

EVERYtime I go to the range that goes with me, and is always setup hanging on my wall.

I am a Forum User
    TOOTHPICKS! The multi-colored ones made of bamboo. (they are 10X harder to break)
    Plastic toothpicks work well also.

[Outdoor] ranges with the insulation foam backer boards that get weathered and worn out don't always hold staples.
    But they'll always hold a toothpick.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    TOOTHPICKS! The multi-colored ones made of bamboo. (they are 10X harder to break)
    Plastic toothpicks work well also.

[Outdoor] ranges with the insulation foam backer boards that get weathered and worn out don't always hold staples.
    But they'll always hold a toothpick.
    The range / club we go to has the plywood backers, so it can sometimes be "fun" to find a section with enough plywood remaining to staple up a target.
    We don't get enough stuff delivered to the house in boxes to keep sheets of cardboard on-hand to take along to use on those backers...
    So we usually just move to a different lane or range (the club has multiple ranges) entirely to find a decent backer.
    But, the people who maintain the backers do a good job keeping them up, there's always several in decent shape.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    We don't get enough stuff delivered to the house in boxes to keep sheets of cardboard on-hand to take along to use on those backers....

Swing by my house on the way, we (my wife) have enough crap delivered you could build a full scale house out of boxes every week!

Quote Originally Posted by jasona View Post
    The range / club we go to has the plywood backers, so it can sometimes be "fun" to find a section with enough plywood remaining to staple up a target.
    We don't get enough stuff delivered to the house in boxes to keep sheets of cardboard on-hand to take along to use on those backers...
    So we usually just move to a different lane or range (the club has multiple ranges) entirely to find a decent backer.
    But, the people who maintain the backers do a good job keeping them up, there's always several in decent shape.

My club uses chicken wire strung along sets of 4x4 posts. Does pretty good, and easy to fix up (they keep extra rolls in a member accessible shed on range). Just use clothes pins to hang targets. It usually lasts a long time, until you get ‘that guy’ who starts shooting a bunch of shotgun out there.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    Great tips from both ..

I am blessed to be a member in a club where the person who is responsible for chairing the pistol committee had vision. He placed permanent steel target of various sizes at 25 yards for people who like to practice.. 99% of the time I visit the pistol range I practice on the steel targets. The only time I place a target stand with a paper target is when I am developing a new load for a new powder or to sight a newly purchased handgun.. In current days I am not doing either LOL.. I can barely stick to what I have..
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Not to thread hijack, but I always take a roll/package of the round day-glo orange stickers with me. It makes the target much easier to aim at for the middle aged eyes. Now, if we could only get the bad guys to wear them when they are breaking in!
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast