Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

shooting 22lr birdshot?

anybody here ever use the cci 22lr birdshot? i think its like 8 or 9 small small bbs

Im thinking about finding a older 22lr with not much rifling, or a old 22 handgun, and using it as a pest gun around my house....with my chickens i seem to have more rodents around then ever before

I just want your opinion on it, is it worth it or is it pretty useless? im assuming your effective range is about 10 yards or less LOL

Let me know, just curious

I am a Forum User
    Absolute pointless junk. Might kill a sparrow if it is perched on the end of your barrel. Might!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    #12 shot, very very close range on moles or tiny birds. Good for bats in the attic.
    Mossberg made a smooth bore. 22 rifle called the 'Garden Gun' specifically for this shot to kill moles etc. The rifling tends to make a donut shaped pattern.
    OK for snakes, met a guy from AZ who used .22 mag shotshell in a Single Six to kill a rattler while off roading.

Orvis used to sell a hand trap made for Ritz crackers so you could use these shotshells for target practice. Meant to buy one way back, not sure if they are still around.

I am a Forum User
    I have never found any damage to any firearm I used birdshot in.

I use it to discourage dogs in my yard, squirrels at my bird feeders and anything else I don't want to kill.
    Works good.

Banned
    Pure Junk, effectiveness measured in Feet as in 1 foot, and that is shooting at a styrofoam cup, lol, not yards.

I am a Forum User
    so what im gathering is this is not going to work for red squirrels, possoms, coons and other pests like that from terrorizing my chickens/chicken coop

Maybe ill have to stick with 22 shorts. It doesnt sound like this is very effective.....glad i didnt buy any rounds then

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger69 View Post
    so what im gathering is this is not going to work for red squirrels, possoms, coons and other pests like that from terrorizing my chickens/chicken coop

Maybe ill have to stick with 22 shorts. It doesnt sound like this is very effective.....glad i didnt buy any rounds then
    Correct, do not use for animals, all you will do is make them suffer.

I am a Forum User
    Protip: Never use it on a pissed off rattle snake.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ruger69 View Post

Try this. I shoot over a thousand each year.
    https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Aguil...p/1b222337.htm
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    When I was 5 or 6 my Dad started me out on his Stevens single shot .22 and Winchester #12 birdshot. I would go into the building where the feed for the livestock was kept and knock sparrows off anywhere from 10-20 feet away. It was also effective on rats, I especially liked to flood their hole and wait for them to come shooting out. They were fast and I had to be faster. The Winchester(maybe they don't make it anymore?) and the CCI do have a place, just don't expect anymore than the round is capable of and the less rifling the barrel has the better.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast