Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    10.5" barrel AR15 pistol is just too long with the fill length A2 flash hider and standard length pistol recoil spring tube. Thought being a cheapskate a guy could cut an A2 flash hider down on the lath or a hacksaw for that matter. Basically cut 3/4" or 1" off it. What say you?
    Cutting 3/4" to 1.0" off of a flash hider renders it pretty useless and if you end up with open tines that will cut your carrying case or tear up your car's upholstery.

I faced the same problem on one of my AR pistols so just bought a cheap nice looking short threaded barrel cap from E-Bay (looks better than a hacked up A2). Tons to choose from on E-Bay.

I know everybody says that a threaded-on flash hider doesn't count towards length, you might very well win that one in court but can you win that argument on the side of the road with a pissed off LEO that doesn't approve of a civilian carrying a short AR. Personally I chose to just shorten the gun so no argument , no convincing, no threatening needed. I don't have the time or the money to go to court to get my gun back.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 01-22-2021 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Cutting 3/4" to 1.0" off of a flash hider renders it pretty useless and if you end up with open tines that will cut your carrying case or tear up your car's upholstery.

I faced the same problem on one of my AR pistols so just bought a cheap nice looking short threaded barrel cap from E-Bay (looks better than a hacked up A2). Tons to choose from on E-Bay.

I know everybody says that a threaded-on flash hider doesn't count towards length, you might very well win that one in court but can you win that argument on the side of the road with a pissed off LEO that doesn't approve of a civilian carrying a short AR. Personally I chose to just shorten the gun so no argument , no convincing, no threatening needed. I don't have the time or the money to go to court to get my gun back.
    Thank you for your input. I was worried about length as you describe. Don't want to carry a wrench around to prove length.

I am a Forum User
    With this logic, better make sure it measures under 26" with the brace full extended...

Another point, who is disclosing a AR pistol is being carried during a traffic stop, and then allowing the officer to inspect it? Disclose your firearm is located X, and don't consent to searches.

I swear people want to worry for lack of anything better to do.

MGO Board of Directors

10.5" barrel AR15 pistol is just too long with the fill length A2 flash hider and standard length pistol recoil spring tube. Thought being a cheapskate a guy could cut an A2 flash hider down on the lath or a hacksaw for that matter. Basically cut 3/4" or 1" off it. What say you?
    I did it.
    Looks and works fine.
    At least it protects the muzzle.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

20171230_115235.jpg The Shortest Muzzle break I know of. Strike Ind. WarHog. Right now not using it.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    With this logic, better make sure it measures under 26" with the brace full extended...

Another point, who is disclosing a AR pistol is being carried during a traffic stop, and then allowing the officer to inspect it? Disclose your firearm is located X, and don't consent to searches.

I swear people want to worry for lack of anything better to do.
    Isn't Michigan law shortest operable condition?

Pretty difficult to hide it's location when it is sitting in plain sight on the passenger seat with a loaded magazine sticking out. Or strapped to the back of my 4-wheeler heading out to my hunting blind.

Yep, could not consent to a search but still might get an officer's safety search.

There is probably a reason the officer stopped me, in most cases if I am non confrontational, polite, and friendly I just get a warning. On the other hand if I poke the bear I will probably also get a ticket for my troubles.

Just seems a LOT easier to have it under 26" as they find it rather than try to prove it might be OK if a wrench is used to remove parts.

To each their own, I choose the non-confrontational, polite route.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Isn't Michigan law shortest operable condition?

Pretty difficult to hide it's location when it is sitting in plain sight on the passenger seat with a loaded magazine sticking out. Or strapped to the back of my 4-wheeler heading out to my hunting blind.

Yep, could not consent to a search but still might get an officer's safety search.

There is probably a reason the officer stopped me, in most cases if I am non confrontational, polite, and friendly I just get a warning. On the other hand if I poke the bear I will probably also get a ticket for my troubles.

Just seems a LOT easier to have it under 26" as they find it rather than try to prove it might be OK if a wrench is used to remove parts.

To each their own, I choose the non-confrontational, polite route.
    It is shortest operable configuration. I recommend keeping a one pager in the car with firearms laws if this situation ever arises, which it more than likely won't.

I just don't understand the opposing viewpoint, but that's me. I'm not going to dictate how my life is lived because some cop MAY not know the law.

A lot of work for that.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

WOW!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast