Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Carbon deposit on 22 questions

Hey all, I don't ever really deal with super dirty rifles, but i acquired a Higgins 22 from a family friend, and it has NEVER been cleaned (or poorly cleaned). I'm dealing with CLP out of a slow drip oil container, I plan to buy some banistol tomorrow, but has anyone used Kano Kroil on a firearm before? I read some have and recommend it, others say it doesn't work. Just curious on your thoughts.

By banistol, do you mean Ballistol? I use that with black powder with great results (and make moose milk out of it for patches), but didn’t find it any more effective than CLP on smokeless powder residue. For deep caked on stuff, the only real luck I had was with a bronze brush or a pick. A ultrasonic cleaner does best, but being a .22 I’d bet you wouldn’t be able to break it down in to small enough components to get it to fit in an affordable unit.

MGO Member
    I have used Kroil a lot... can use it with JB Bore paste and a patch to clean really nice,. There are also several 'specialty' products I have seen specific to 22lr cleaning. Never tried them, but see them on the shelf as places like Sportsmans Warehouse or Fin, Feather, Fur etc. I think Bore-Tech makes a good carbon remover as well.

If you don't have JB, try the Kroil or Balistal, let is soak for a bit. I would NOT use a bronze brush, but thats me, Nylon, yes.

I am a Forum User
    as part of my rifle / pistol cleaning routine, I use WD-40 a lot. Just spray it on carbon-ed areas & let it sit overnite.
    WD isn't a very good lube or preservative IMO, but it is good for cleaning..works like a solvent, dissolving gunk.
    I use an old toothbrush to gently scrub crusty / caked areas.
    Buy it by the gallon & put it in pump spray bottles, much more economical than pressurized spay cans.

MGO Member
    Put a plug in the muzzle and fill the bore with Kroil. Let it set 2 or 3 days then use the nylon brush and patches. I have taken a lot of rust and crud out of a 7 mm Mauser barrel using this method.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Model12gunner View Post
    Put a plug in the muzzle and fill the bore with Kroil. Let it set 2 or 3 days then use the nylon brush and patches. I have taken a lot of rust and crud out of a 7 mm Mauser barrel using this method.
    This is the correct answer.

Put an ear fomie plug in it, soak it in your preferred magic juice.
    I became a recent fan of Wipe-out, but others will probably do the same. I know Wipe-out is safe to leave in a barrel overnight.