Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Shipping ammunition.

I have been trying to find a way to ship ammo. Fedex wants me to get hazmat certified by taking a 300 dollar course. UPS hub in Muskegon is not open and on line they say I have to have be certified or something like that. USPS wont do it

Anyone in the Muskegon area that can ship ammo? I am willing to pay 60 - 80 bucks plus the cost if someone can help me out.

I just put the sticker on the box (can be printed on line at www.UPS.com) and set it on the outgoing parcels table at the Lansing hub. Muskegon would have a similar hub building. I don't say anything to anyone. This is OK by UPS rules. Do not use a UPS Store, not allowed.

Also you can hand the box to any UPS driver.

Set up a UPS online account, it takes a few minutes and it is free. Print your own labels.
    Last edited by banjobart; 01-23-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Patron Member, CCRC Life Member, GOA Life Member

I am a Forum User
    Command I live in Muskegon and not long ago went thru what you describe with exactly the same results. I ended up selling "local" because of it. I did post my experience on the site and found out, after the fact, where I went wrong in my endeavor. Maybe reading this will help you: https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ep-hoarding-it
    If it does and you end finding a way to do so without having to drive to Lansing or something (I did make the trip to Grand Rapids FedEx hub as UPS hub here would not accept my shipment and that is where I found out about the hazmat thing like you did) I would really like to hear of how you did it..
    All the best in your endeavor!
    Puc

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    I don’t use Fedex due to their convoluted procedures and lack of a central authority to guide the folks at their hubs-however as I understand it the HazMat course and fee is not actually required to ship ammo with them. The way I have seen it explained as working is to go online and signup for a Fedex account and generate the shipping label for your package via your account on the website-then schedule a pickup at your home/business for a few extra $ and send your ammo on its way. Labeling requirements are via the DOT and the same for Fedex and UPS.

USPS is a no go, they state clearly in their regs that they do not ship ammo.

The link Puc provided to the other thread where you will see my post in the process for UPS-there is no Hazmat requirement, fee or restrictions, you are not referencing the correct information. The way I post is my chosen method, is the least expensive in my experience and has always worked for me.

Good luck-and post here after reading thru the other thread if you still have questions.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Thanks a bunch guys. Wow, that was heck of thread !!! Good luck Puc, my fellow Muskegonite, on your battle. I will post back on my success or failure.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by command450 View Post
    Thanks a bunch guys. Wow, that was heck of thread !!! Good luck Puc, my fellow Muskegonite, on your battle. I will post back on my success or failure.
    You betcha neighbor, only wish I could have been more help. Looking forward to hearing GOOD news on the shipping on your end!
    Regards
    Puc
    Oh yeah,, who you been dealing with on your inbound/outbound shooters Command? I have been using Jim at Genies Pawn up on the North Side. $20 transfers and great service/good people. I did inquire with him about shipping ammo out for me with no luck, to much hassle was reply and was told he bumped into the same issues I had bumped into. Be interested to know to if you have an FFL you are dealing with who may be able to assist in shipping ammo out of the Muskegon area. Always something aint it LOL

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    While anyone can choose to do their ammo shipping thru a FFL if they like and the dealer is amenable-being a FFL or using one to ship ammo is not at all required.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Puc View Post
    You betcha neighbor, only wish I could have been more help. Looking forward to hearing GOOD news on the shipping on your end!
    Regards
    Puc
    Oh yeah,, who you been dealing with on your inbound/outbound shooters Command? I have been using Jim at Genies Pawn up on the North Side. $20 transfers and great service/good people. I did inquire with him about shipping ammo out for me with no luck, to much hassle was reply and was told he bumped into the same issues I had bumped into. Be interested to know to if you have an FFL you are dealing with who may be able to assist in shipping ammo out of the Muskegon area. Always something aint it LOL

I have not done any inbound transfers. I played my cards right years ago and bought all the cool stuff, i plan on keeping. grew up reloading and stock piled components and ammo I use. Just found 500 rounds of primed, ready to go to the press, LC 5.56 brass the other day. forgot I had it !!

As for outbound, done a bunch of mid to high end old WW2 german pistols and other cool collectibles. I pay the long buck and use FEDEX. yeah it sucks paying 100 bucks but its there over night. and these are all 2-9 grand items. I kinda want it done fast and and so far 100 percent. also Non FFL to FFL. I use gun broker for the high end stuff. that sucks too,paying the fees, but it is reliable and solid. MGO has been great on long arms for me, but you have to price them reasonably and do FTF. Only problem I had was some old fudd in a florida pawn shop tried to refuse a transfer. he was clueless on the law, and the buyer took the ATF rules i printed out to him, and he finally gave in. It was the one time I did not call the FFL and let them know I was sending pistol. should have done what I always did in the past, and call them. Some FFLs will only do FFL to FFL.

Cant tell you about any local guys for inbound, that I can say will be hassle free. as for this ammo deal. It is 23 pounds of luger and broomhandle 30 cal. and I have sold it to a guy in Arizona, whom I called on a regular basis to let him know about all the hold ups( main problem is Muskegon UPS hub is closed last time I checked) Just pure luck the guy is as nice as pie, and has been willing to put up with this 3 week hold up. but again, I promised to get it there or give him back his money one way or another. so far he is patient.

Going to take advice balrog and banjo gave everyone and quit over engineering it, which I am guilty of.
    Last edited by command450; 01-23-2021 at 09:50 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Well so far, everything went smooth. Thanks Banjobart and Balrog006 ! I did exactly what you guys suggested. set up a user account, created a PREPAID shipping label, which I listed as projectiles, small arms when i was creating the prepaid label. printed off the HM label on UPS web site. 24 pounds of luger and broomhandle ammo, going to arizona. cost 70 bucks. A PIA to pack it all so no loose rounds were shaking around, per UPS. wrapped it up from head to toe with clear tape on a clean new box.

Problem for guys like Puc and I, is the muskegon hub has been shut down. now there was a option to have it picked up at the house. Imagine that would have worked too? But after a month, I owe it to the guy to get this done now. or give him his money back. the buyer was a great guy that I updated on a regular basis and was easy going about the hold ups. so I picked a nice sunny day to visit friends in GR while I was at it, and went to the massive Hub in GR. wow, is that place HUGE !

Walked in and the gal asked to help me. I said this one is all prepaid, and ready to go. She said, Good. scanned the box. and sent it down the rollers. HM label properly placed on box in clear view. no problems so far. I also printed out the procedures, as recommended and had them with me, just in case.

on a side note, it is a confusing web of info out there. the GR hubs web site replied to some one and said, no they dont ship ammo. which is a lie. UPS says how to do it, even with the printable HM label. but then they list ammo in the no go items, with some caveat. go figure?? I will comment back if there are any issues, if not it was GTG for me.
    Last edited by command450; 02-03-2021 at 09:32 PM.