Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCAMMERS

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Why MGO Classifieds don't require a minimum post count of at least 20, I've never understood.
    It's a simple and very effective filter to weed out a large number of the brand new new account / scammer posts. Which is by in large, what they all are. Posts less than 20.
    Same with using the PM system. 10 posts at a min. I brought this up some time back as well as a recommendation. Never gained traction after several messages to and from the powers of Forumlandia.

If there were minimums, Users would need to open an account, *CONTRIBUTE TO THE MGO COMMUNITY* then are promoted to the user group that allows access to post to the classifieds and PM system(s).
    Otherwise you'll always have hit and run users. 3 posts, scam pm's links, etc.

Of course you can buy your way through this and become a paid member which instantly promotes you to the user groups with classified and PM permissions. Scammers don't do this either.

Food for thought.
    This is the only forum I’m a member of that doesn’t have some sort of waiting period/post count requirement before jumping into the sales section. I don’t understand the lack of some metric to keep spammers out.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    -I posted a WTB ad here.
    -Member with 0 posts, Jan 2021 join date and location listed in Texas contacted me.
    -He suggested that I reach out to his friend in Illinois for a good deal.

Separately on Armslist I reached out to two people with fair priced ammo. Phone numbers were 248 and 313 prefix- local to my area.
    Both said they were Ontonagon but could ship.

Scammers are busy playing the numbers. They must figure that with all the new gun owners someone will eventually fall for it.
    Same here.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Why MGO Classifieds don't require a minimum post count of at least 20, I've never understood.
    It's a simple and very effective filter to weed out a large number of the brand new new account / scammer posts. Which is by in large, what they all are. Posts less than 20.
    Same with using the PM system. 10 posts at a min. I brought this up some time back as well as a recommendation. Never gained traction after several messages to and from the powers of Forumlandia.

If there were minimums, Users would need to open an account, *CONTRIBUTE TO THE MGO COMMUNITY* then are promoted to the user group that allows access to post to the classifieds and PM system(s).
    Otherwise you'll always have hit and run users. 3 posts, scam pm's links, etc.

Of course you can buy your way through this and become a paid member which instantly promotes you to the user groups with classified and PM permissions. Scammers don't do this either.

Food for thought.
    Just as they can't post pictures till 10 posts, they just make 10 or 20 garbage posts and then off they go. If the Marketplace had to be either a MGO Member or pay a fee, there would be less scammers.

I am a Forum User
    The number of them that go through the brain damage to post 20 times is incredibly small, and easily identifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff s View Post
    Just as they can't post pictures till 10 posts, they just make 10 or 20 garbage posts and then off they go. If the Marketplace had to be either a MGO Member or pay a fee, there would be less scammers.
    Is it worthwhile or fair to make the classifieds a 'members only' section? I've bought quite a bit from non-members with no issues at all. I'd not want to prevent them from offering things for sale. Conversely, I see several non-members who are offering ammo at hugely inflated prices, which annoys me. The minimum 10 or 20 post requirement might be a good solution, Quads...
    Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

Many of the forums I belong to require either so many posts, or be a paying member to post in classifieds.
    I don't normally bother with someone unless they have at least 10 posts.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    20, 50, and 100 seem to be the threadsholds on them. Unless you pay to play.
    Snipers Hide is 100. The High Road is somewhere around 20, they don't however say specifically. Must be a member for 30 days though. Accurate Shooter has a 3 ad per year limit unless you're a supporting member. Long Range Hunters forum 10 posts plus paid member for added bennys. It's pretty common to throttle newbies in the forum from the classifieds and such to keep some sense of membership and community within the membership so it doesn't become a free for all shtshow.

I am a Forum User
    All of this sounds good. Some kind of vote or executive action should be taken on this.

I am a Forum User
    You also have to remember, you are never going to get rid of all of them. Any measure you take is simply a way to cut down on them, or minimize them as much as you can. By most forums standards, MGO is pretty wide open as far as new members having access to classified and PM or other resources. There is no silver bullet.

If you guys see an ad or receive a PM which you believe to be a scam, just report it and move along.

There is a little triangle at the bottom of every post or PM, use it when it is appropriate.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast