Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me on "adjusting" Kydex

I just bought a Kahr P380. Since my PM-9 now wears a Crimson Trace unit I have a drawer full of PM-9 holsters I'd like to repurpose for the new smaller pistol.

I've managed to cut material or alter adjustment screws to make all of the holsters work just fine other than a Kydex Galco OWB paddle holster.

The 380 is only .75" wide while the PM-9 is .95" wide... so they are very close. I just need to "shrink" the upper end of the holster a bit... so the 380 won't rattle around.

So... what's the best method to heat and squeeze/shape the upper end of the holster "just a bit"???????

I was thinking of just using a heat gun. Safe enough??????

I appreciate your tips.

Mark

Heat gun.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Not saying this is the right way, but this is what I did since I don’t have a heat gun.

I have a AIWB for a FNX45 and the maker molded it for a tactical with the longer threaded barrel. Mine doesn’t have that, and the extra bit of kydex would dig into me. So initially I used a torch a few inches away from the area I wanted to mold to heat it up and used a gloved hand to reshape it. Later I just took a dremel and trimmed the excess off.....but the torch worked fine when kept at a distance to heat it up without melting. A heat gun would be the proper tool though.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    I've used my wife's blow dryer. Don't make it too hot, kydex gets soft real fast and can get out of shape quickly - speaking from experience.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User
    I'd use a hair dryer before a heat gun. Heat guns are capable of far higher temps than needed for what you're doing.

I have not done it but heard hair dryer on hot, its plenty hot work it back and forth, back and forth and you won't melt it like a heat gun.

Well I worked on it today and am somewhat disappointed in my progress. I used my wife's heat gun (a craft toy) on the medium setting.

The Kydex got hot fast but when I laid down the heater and tried to shape the Kydex... not much happened. So then I put a metal clamp on the holster before heating it. That worked better but left some marks in the material that don't please me.

Any tips are appreciated.

Mark

MGO Member
    Maybe mount your heat gun in a vise and snug it just enough to hold it in place. This will leave your hands free to shape the material while it is warm.

Thanks I'll try that.

I spent about 90 minutes searching and can't find many holsters for this little pistol... Unless I want to spend $75+... so I'll keep working on it.

I have a decent IWB and a pocket holster that fit it perfectly --- so I m not without options I spend most of my winter in sweats ... so the paddle holster carry works well for me.

Just trying to repurpose the Galco paddle rig.

Mark

I am a Forum User
    I use/have two different types for my P380.
    $30 bucks. Zero brain damage.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQFW5OA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I've also got a leather that works well.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KZ6NP6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Without a mold, you've got quite a challenge on your hands to reshape the larger one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast