Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Board of Directors

The committee adopted and recommended substitute H-1.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ktm...4003-0N296.pdf

Not only was the "fix-it" provision removed ($330 civil infraction fine waived if you renew within 60 days), a couple of other things were added to appease the MSP and gain their support:

1. This entire provision for carrying on an expired license (less than one year), making it a $330 civil infraction ticket (vs a felony CCW charge) is conditional based on having disclosed to the LEO as required elsewhere in the law. So, if you get pulled over and you are carrying on an expired license…and you forget to disclose…deal off..felony CCW. It does lack the "immediately" language, so there's that...

2. They added language to indemnify an officer that makes an arrest for felony CCW as long as they made a good-faith effort to determine if the individual is eligible for a CPL. Not sure why they were so concerned about having that language in there since if an individual had a CPL and it expired, LEIN shows EXPIRED CPL. If an individual is CHARGED with any felony or DQ’ing misdemeanor, their CPL is SUSPENDED and LEIN shows SUSPENDED CPL. If an individual is CONVICTED of any felony or DQ’ing misdemeanor, their CPL is REVOKED and LEIN shows REVOKED CPL. Therefore, barring seeing SUSPENDED CPL or REVOKED CPL, rather only seeing EXPIRED CPL, an officer would have no reason to believe that the individual is not eligible for a CPL.

So, while the removal of the fix-it provision…along with the addition of the above two items are not great, this bill still provides for appropriate relief for anybody carrying on an expired CPL (less than 1 year). What we currently have is a law that makes a law abiding citizen into a felon in exactly 1 second...without the individual doing anything different than they were 1 second prior.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Weapons: licensing; penalty for failure to comply with certain licensing requirements; modify. Amends sec. 227 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227).
    Last Action: 10/11/2021 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...3-47E38D22.pdf
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Weapons: licensing; penalty for failure to comply with certain licensing requirements; modify. Amends sec. 227 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227).
    Last Action: 3/8/2022 placed on third reading

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Last Action: 3/10/2022 transmitted

The House has passed this bill and it is now moving on to the Senate.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Last Action: 3/15/2022 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12