Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

***Officially SUPPORTED by MGO*** HB 4003 of 2021 - Modify penalty for failure to renew CPL

HB 4003 of 2021
    Weapons: licensing; penalty for failure to comply with certain licensing requirements; modify. Amends sec. 227 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227).
    Last Action: 1/27/2021 bill electronically reproduced 01/27/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Looks to be a reintroduction of HB 4434 of 2019

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...e-to-Renew-CPL
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Weapons: licensing; penalty for failure to comply with certain licensing requirements; modify. Amends sec. 227 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.227).
    Last Action: 5/18/2021 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...3-3CDC933D.pdf

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Last Action: 8/18/2021 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...3-FC2BBE97.pdf

I am a Forum User
    Looks like the Judiciary committee will be taking this up next Tues. the 21st.

I can’t find any outcomes of the meeting if anyone has them

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    Looks like the Judiciary committee will be taking this up next Tues. the 21st.
    Thank you for posting that. The MGO Board of Directors had time to vote and support this bill. I have finally figured out how to keep informed about upcoming committee hearings considering bills of interest to MGO.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCC View Post
    I can’t find any outcomes of the meeting if anyone has them
    I watched the meeting live.

I heard two points of concern regarding the bill, as currently written.

1. The 1-Year "grace period" should be a one-time only thing. Five years later, you forget again...maybe it should be a misdemeanor vs a civil infraction as with the first time around, as this bill would provide.

I don't know about anybody else, but if my renewal notice doesn't show up for whatever reason, the probability of me forgetting to renew my drivers license, Electrical Contractor's License, CPL, HAM Radio license, NRA Trainers Certification, etc, etc. is just as probable in the future, even if I was granted grace the first time I forgot.

When folks move, there is NO requirement to inform the County Clerk that you moved. The County Clerk is required to send a renewal reminder and renewal PIN (for online renewal) to the last known address within 3-6 months prior to CPL expiration. It's not a perfect system. If the State was handling the entire process, your CPL renewal address would be known via the SoS database (unless you move out of State entirely, at which point, renewal notices wouldn't matter anyway).

For the reasons stated (and more), making this a one-time only grace period is ridiculous.

2. It was suggested that the bill needs to be tweaked to NOT grant any grace period to anyone subject to pending felony charges.

Obviously, they are unaware of 28.428 which requires immediate suspension to a CPL of an individual CHARGED with a felony or a DQ'ing misdemeanor. The law already addresses this situation. There is a HUGE difference between a suspended CPL (for the above reasons) and a lapsed CPL due to failure to renew on-time.

I plan to send the above arguments/info to Rep. Matt Hall (sponsor of the bill) to help him push this bill further.

It was read into record that Michigan Gun Owners supports this bill.

Anyone that would like to view, here is a link (starts at the 29:00 mark):
    https://www.house.mi.gov/SharedVideo...UDI-092121.mp4

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Last Action: 10/4/2021 Analysis File Added

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...3-2605E5C9.pdf

MGO Board of Directors

THis bill is once again coming before the Judiciary Committee this morning at 9am. Unfortunately, it sounds like the "fix it" provision has been removed in S-1.

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4003 of 2021
    Last Action: 10/5/2021 referred to second reading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast