Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4006 of 2021 - Exempt elected officials from concealed pistol free zones 2 years after tenure and beyond

HB 4006 of 2021
    Weapons: concealed; pistol-free zones; exempt elected officials, and extend for 1 year after tenure. Amends secs. 1, 5b & 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.421 et seq.).
    Last Action: 1/27/2021 bill electronically reproduced 01/27/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

Looks to be a reintroduction of HB 6266 of 2020

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ure-and-beyond
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    There were some questions raised here with the 2020 version of this bill as to why MCRGO supported/supports it. I didn't see them until after the session ended. This bill is yet another PFZ carve-out for special people. We all hate that. It's unfair. With this bill, the argument for elected officials due to personal security in a volatile political environment is debatable. Why MCRGO's Board voted to support it despite all that is that the bill creates huge openings in who can qualify. It's not just limited to state elected officials. It's open to anyone who holds elective office in this state. That's every township board member, every school board member, and every precinct delegate. Those precinct delegate positions in particular are often not competitive and sometimes unfilled. This is an easy way for the average Jane or Joe CPL holder to get an unrestricted PFZ. Of course, the secondary benefit is that it provides a big incentive for CPL holders to run for local and state elected office.

MGO Member
    I asked my rep about it. No response yet.

How would one get the box checked on his CPL to so indicate??

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post

You have to be a member of the special class employed by the government.
    Just me

Instructor: Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH, Hunter Safety
    NRA Life Member
    President of the Chippewa County Shooting Association

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post

If this bill passed, as currently written:

(xv) For an individual who currently serves as an elected official, the certification of office from the clerk of the county in which the individual resides or from the secretary of state.

(xvi) For an individual who served as an elected official within that last 2 years, the certification of office from the clerk of the county in which the individual resides or from the secretary of state.

(xvii) For an individual described in section 5o(5)(l)(iii), the certification of office from the clerk of the county in which the individual resides or from the secretary of state, and a signed letter from the county sheriff granting his or her approval.
    For elected official current or within the last 2 years, you present the certification from the SOS to the Clerk and request exemption, or, if you were an elected official on the local level, the Clerk certifies upon request for exemption.

From there, if you EVER have served as an elected official and you can get the County Sheriff, of the County in which you served, to sign off, you could potentially qualify for an unrestricted CPL for life.

This bill has no support and is never going to see the light of day. (and I qualify as one of the "special" people.)

The only reason I can understand why elected officials need an exemption, is because they keep doing crap that pisses off the people.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.