Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Board of Directors

HB 4023 & 4024 of 2021 - Expand gun-free zones to include all buildings owned or leased by this state

HB 4023 of 2021
    Weapons: other; gun-free zones; expand to include all buildings owned or leased by this state. TIE BAR WITH: HB 4024'21
    Last Action: 1/27/2021 bill electronically reproduced 01/27/2021

HB 4024 of 2021
    Weapons: concealed; weapon-free zones; include all buildings owned or leased by this state. TIE BAR WITH: HB 4023'21
    Last Action: 1/27/2021 bill electronically reproduced 01/27/2021
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

This appears to be a reintroduction of HB 5783 & 5784 of 2020

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...-by-this-state
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Board of Directors

From the Legal Beagle forum thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    PhotoTom posted this in the Legislative Lighthouse thread:

If the state is allowed to do this, what about cities and other municipalities restricting access to their properties?
    Preemption law would still apply, prohibiting "local units of government" from enacting ordinances that are more restrictive than State law.

Could this be expanded to include state or city-owned/operated roads?
    Highly doubtful.

More importantly, does this restrict what is found in either the Michigan or the US constitutions?
    I'm not sure that banning firearms in all State owned or leased buildings could be deemed "unconstitutional" right off the bat. The legal argument can certainly be made, but the probability of winning a constitutional argument is pretty slim based on our current judicial brach.

MGO Member
    Why not just post that no one with a criminal record can enter. That would keep the bad people out, right.

I don't know if it's still this way. But the Ohio no-carry zone law used to be much like that. You couldn't carry in the rest stops on the interstates because they were state operated facilities. In many cases I think it would be hard to know which places were included.

Mark

I am a Forum User
    Rest areas would be a problem. So would an out house at a DNR boat launch.