Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Hunting rifle feedback

Hey gents- I was doing some research on a new hunting rifle and found an article that said the number one grab was the new Sako S20. Not sure if $1600 is worth it or if anyone has heard good things? Any suggestions on a new setup would be aprecited thanks in advance.

Where are you hunting and at what distances ?

Sako pretty much only makes nice stuff so buy once cry once rules applies, but a lot of places in michigan its more than you need.

If you already have a 30-30, a lower end 30-06, or 308 and want to step it up this is a nice piece. But if you only had $1600 to spend I do not think I would blow it all on this, I know you did not say that, but incase that is the situation, I would get a cheaper gun, and a .450 bushmaster to hunt down state as well.

I am a Forum User
    Agree with the above.

.350 legend is also a good option for MI as well. I got into hunting this year in the lower part of MI, and decided on a .350 legend upper for an ar15 since it met my needs. I was also looking into a 20G slug gun and the .450 bushmaster but the .350 legend won out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 44LoveLetter View Post
    Agree with the above.

.350 legend is also a good option for MI as well. I got into hunting this year in the lower part of MI, and decided on a .350 legend upper for an ar15 since it met my needs. I was also looking into a 20G slug gun and the .450 bushmaster but the .350 legend won out for me.
    I am interested in both those, it really depends on where he hunts, if he only hunts above the shotgun zone, or money is never an issue and he wants to hunt out west and say up in grayling and thats it, and he is putting on a $1500 scope then he should have fun.

Buuuut, if thats the total spend I might try to cover a little more of the state, or just buy a savage 110 or and put decent glass on it.

Sako as a nice as hell though so he cannot go wrong really.

I am a Forum User
    Personally I already had an AR lower, so a .350 legend is a really affordable option. I paid ~$350 for the upper with a faxon barrel and $15 for a magazine. Before the COVID madness, ammo wise FMJ is $.70 per round and hunting ammo is $1.50.

Thanks for the thoughtful
    Feedback- I think I’ll take the advice and go a bit lower cost since I’m not seeing the purpose of such a costly peice

what did you go with ?

MGO Member
    I got my busk with a 401 winchester self loader.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fmj View Post
    I got my busk with a 401 winchester self loader.
    hmm Ill have to look into both. I am not familiar with 401. Is busk a typo ?

I am a Forum User
    A lower end Ruger American or Savage Axis would suit just fine for a good hunting rifle.

I picked up a used Savage 110e chambered in 7mm Rem Mag a few years ago and it shoots just over 1 MOA at 500 yards (haven't had an opportunity to shoot any further) It is bedded in a Boyd's hardwood thumbhole stock and topped with a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 scope.