Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)

Best 1911 magazines?

Picked up a new Kimber Stainless 2 the other day, only came with 1 magazine, so I need at least 2 spare magazines. I have a Colt Series 70 and a Charles Daly 1911, but don't want to use their mags in my new pistol. Since I plan on carrying the Kimber, who do you guys think make the best .45ACP 1911 magazines?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Wilson Combat 47D

All day, every day.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    I have a few Wilson’s, pretty sure a couple 47D’s and I think ETM’s. One gave me feed issues with a few different brand hollow points, the other only gave me feed issues with one or two brands of hollow points. Moved to Tripp cobra’s, didn’t have any feed issues. Now I just use the Wilson’s for the range. Only tried in one 1911, so take it for what it’s worth.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Wilson Combat 47D

All day, every day.
    That and trip research magazines..

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    Wilson Combat 47D

All day, every day.
    The only mag I have used in my 1911.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

MGO Member
    Tripp and Chip McCormick, Wilson seemed good in most guns but they didn't work in my Les Baer. I'd buy 1 of each and see what worked the best.

Get mags while you can, they are about the only thing in stock

I always hear if your factory mags are fussy buy wilson. If you are shocked by the price buy McCormick. Not a bad idea two try both and see what works.

One of those solves A LOT of problems.

MGO Member
    I've got a pair of Wilson's for my Baer and they work excellent.

I am a Forum User
    Many think that one particular brand of mag is better than others.. a belief I don't share.
    Having owned > a dozen 1911's of most brands, & tried a variety brands of mags in my 1911's,
    I'm of the opinion that you should try different brands of mags for your pistol & use what works.

Yes, Wilson 47's are good mags. They are rather pricey, compared to other brands.
    Do they work BETTER ? How'd you describe better ?

Either a mag works, or it doesn't.
    1)Does it feed properly?
    2) drop free when mag release is pressed ?
    3)hold slide back after last rnd is fired ?

if it does all three, that's all you need from a mag.

Some gun owners will learn that most gun manufacturers do not either make their own mags,
    or stick with 1 company to make mags for all the models they produce. They use many different companies to make their mags for them.

Mec-Gar is an Italian company that sells mags under their own name , also furnishes mags for a bunch of US and European firearms companies, many are made with the gun company's name or logo stamped on them.
    They are not the only company that furnishes mags for the industry.

I like Mec-Gar mags & use them in many pistols, 1911's & others.
    Also like ACT mags, Novaks, Metalform, & CMC Products (Chip McCormick)

here's a crazy idea.. if a 1911 is set up properly, most any mag will work properly in it. This has been my experience.

I am a Forum User
    Wilson are the gold standard especially for an 8 round mag. I have an assortment of mostly seven round Wilson, Tripp, McCormick, and Mec-Gar and all are great. From what I’ve seen most magazines work pretty well as long as an individual gun doesn’t have issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast