Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Which shot for small game/birds?

I've always hunted squirrel with .22. Never hunted rabbit before ( had a freind who raised them for meat, got one when I wanted one ).

Which 12 gauge shot is best for small game?
    Which size for small bird?

I am a Forum User

Thumbs up small game

I use # 6 shot for birds and rabbits

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    I've always hunted squirrel with .22. Never hunted rabbit before ( had a freind who raised them for meat, got one when I wanted one ).

Which 12 gauge shot is best for small game?
    Which size for small bird?
    What kinda small birds?

For Woodcock and grouse 7.5's are ok.

I am a Forum User
    I use:

2 3/4" # 7 for Rabbit's, woodcock, etc...

3" # 6 for Pheasants

3" # 5 for Turkey

I am a Forum User
    For most small game/birds I prefer 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot. That includes grouse/partridge. For woodcock/quail, I use #7 (NOT 7.5!). Lost a lot of birds in the past using 7.5...haven't since I switched to 7s (and yes, I know it's only .005 bigger.....but that has been my experience). If I'm hunting both grouse & woodcock, I will use #7 for the first round and #6 for the second shot.
    For pheasants, I prefer #5, #4, and #6, in that order....in 1 1/4 oz payloads. All are 2 3/4" shells.
    I use these guidelines in both 12 & 16 gauge.

I am a Forum User
    #6 works for everything that 00 Buck doesn't work for.

I am a Forum User
    I am looking for 1 all around good small game/bird shot. Wanting to stock some for a just-in-case. Seems #6 is prefered the most. I seen at Walmart, a 100 round box for something less than $24. Only had 7 and 8 though. I'll have to keep my eye open for 6.

Yes, I have a bunch of 00 and some slugs.

I use a 20 for all my bird hunting. #6's or #5's for Pheasant, #7.5 for grouse and woodcock. Never seem to have an issue. 6's on a woodcock from a 12 might leave them a little "loose" considering the range you're usually shooting them from... grouse you'd probably be just fine.

I am a Forum User
    Michigan. North of Ohio,east of Wisconson,south and west of Canada, out in the country somewhere.
    I use #7.5 for upland birds and rabbit, just adjust the choke tube for the game I'm hunting, choke consriction needs to be taken into consideration along with shot size. I use .22 mag for squirral.

Grouse and woody's with 12ga O/U 1st bbl is imp cylinder 2nd is skeet II.

Pheasant with 12ga O/U is mod then full.

rabbit I use 20ga with eiather a full or a imp cylinder depends on location im hunting.

Turkey is a hevi shot superfull choke tube in my 870 with the old remington branded #6 hevi shot.

Goose 3.5" BB in full 870 super-mag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 16 gauge
    For woodcock/quail, I use #7 (NOT 7.5!). Lost a lot of birds in the past using 7.5...haven't since I switched to 7s (and yes, I know it's only .005 bigger.....but that has been my experience). If I'm hunting both grouse & woodcock, I will use #7 for the first round and #6 for the second shot.
    QUESTION:
    Who makes lead #7's, I like that idea of #7's rather then 7.5

Last edited by huntmeister; 04-15-2009 at 10:21 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by huntmeister

QUESTION:
    Who makes lead #7's, I like that idea of #7's rather then 7.5

Hello;
    I just checked the bag, and the company that makes it is called "West Coast Shot, Inc.", out of Carson City, NV. The only place that I've found that has it consistantly is The Hock shop up in Pt. Huron. I've miked a few pellets from each bag I bought, and they do mike out to .10, so they are 'true' #7 shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast