Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MGO Member
    Just the thought of having to go hunt down a can of Trail Boss then spend the time in load development plus pulling what's left of my hair it might be cheaper/safer to just let the Crow's have at it! Most people would not believe how far a 40gr long rifle will shoot, have found .22 bullets on my roof and have a good guess how far they flew. I'm pretty sure a Mach 2 might very well fill the bill.

17M2 should hold minute-of-crow if the gun will do it. It was just sad watching 3 of 5 going into a bughole and the wind pushing the group to 3/4"
    Upgrade your feeders to AR500 and get that 22-250 w/40gr load rig up. pink mist, black poof
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

MGO Member
    Yes the good old days when I'd just leave the Swift on the shooting bench in the garage. Sadly, Things change and now everybody and their brother has moved out in the country so they can let O'l Spot the dog run wild.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    You say you have other "Varmint" rifles on hand, have you considered using Trailboss in one and see what happens? I seem to recall hearing you can load a 22-250 to 22LR velocities with it. What it would do in the 223/22 Hornet might just be what you're looking for.
    Give them a call and ask, cant hurt.
    I have tried to make a 22-250 subsonic using TrailBoss, RedDot, etc, not much success as most 22-250 guns have very slow twist barrels so accuracy is pretty poor at slower bullet speeds.

Plus, slow 22-250 bullets' (even the thin varmint kind) are way more prone to glance-offs, pass-throughs, and ricochet as they don't explode on contact like the real fast bullets' do.

On the 22-250 with "thin jacketed", light hollow point bullets' if you get the bullet speed way up they pretty well blow up on contact. I have even had a few blow up before reaching the target due to high bullet speeds in cool dense air.

Even on the .223 if you want decent (down-loaded) small critter accuracy at distance then you need a fast twist barrel and you need to keep the bullet speed below the speed of sound (might as well just shoot an accurate .22LR), or load fast enough to keep the bullet speed above the speed of sound all the way to the target (then why even download?)

A full power Hornet might be a decent choice with light thin jacketed hollow points if it has a decent barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    I have tried to make a 22-250 subsonic using TrailBoss, RedDot, etc, not much success as most 22-250 guns have very slow twist barrels so accuracy is pretty poor at slower bullet speeds.

Plus, slow 22-250 bullets' (even the thin varmint kind) are way more prone to glance-offs, pass-throughs, and ricochet as they don't explode on contact like the real fast bullets' do.

On the 22-250 with "thin jacketed", light hollow point bullets' if you get the bullet speed way up they pretty well blow up on contact. I have even had a few blow up before reaching the target due to high bullet speeds in cool dense air.

Even on the .223 if you want decent (down-loaded) small critter accuracy at distance then you need a fast twist barrel and you need to keep the bullet speed below the speed of sound (might as well just shoot an accurate .22LR), or load fast enough to keep the bullet speed above the speed of sound all the way to the target (then why even download?)

A full power Hornet might be a decent choice with light thin jacketed hollow points if it has a decent barrel.
    Keep in mind the 22-250 and the original 223 were designed to shoot 50gr and lighter bullets and came with a 1/14” twist with those in mind. The fact the 22-250 shoots 55-60gr bullets is more due to the higher velocity it produces then the bullet or twist being used. I would try the super light 35-50 gr bullets with TB in either cartridge and not worry about expansion although the Sierra Blitz or Speer TNT should still expand. For crows and like pests at 50 yds off a feeder top sub moa accuracy and expansion at not really necessary. The shorter low BC bullets will shed speed faster then a heavier long bullet too which might be a important factor in bullet choice. The 17 mach2 will due to the better BC and almost double the velocity of a 22 or have a longer max range too
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Member
    Have a Hornet and a K Hornet but what I need is a 15 to 20 gr bullet and light report. The 17 rimfires loose steam fast with the under 20 gr bullets from my use out west and the lack of "Bounce around town factor" due to their fragile nature are all ++++

MGO Member
    If you are looking for a "light" report, I'm not sure .17HM2 is what you are looking for. The rifles are hard to find now also.
    I own 2 rifles, with 16" and 20.5" barrels and neither is quiet. I'd say about the same as my .22 Hornet and .17HMR.
    Pretty cool cartridge though, I recently bought some 20gr. ammo for shooting stuff I want to eat.
    With my bolt action rifles, I can use .17 Aguila ammo in them.
    I'd say it would be far easier to use a HP Subsonic .22 Long Rifle load to do what you are asking about.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    With all the time I've put into this project and making calls to gun shops and web sites I've to the conclusion that a Ruger Silent can and standard velocity ammo might work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12