Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

17 Mach 2 Rimfire

Any one here play with a 17 Mach 2 Rimfire? I'm not asking about the 17 HMR Mag rimfire way to much for what I want it for. Even here in the country you need to be careful with the influx of people moving in and what I want is something safe or safer around the cattle and barn. Thanks

I had a 10/22 in 17M2 in 2009.
    Pretty much recoiless to shoot with the hvy bbl on it, Like watch it hit the target at 50yds if the light is right.
    Very accurate in NO wind but but gets blown around in anything over a light breeze. Tried pretty much all the loads available
    Light meat damage on squirrels, only critter I ever shot it at.
    17HMR is far less effected by wind, velocity. Prefer the HMR to 17M2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by postban; 02-09-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Don’t own one but have heard complains from those that do on ammo availability, just a thought.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I got some Mach 2 ammo in from a distributor. Only ammo they had, so I had to take it.
    Expensive stuff!

I wonder if a bolt action 5.7 would be a good alternative.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    Any one here play with a 17 Mach 2 Rimfire? I'm not asking about the 17 HMR Mag rimfire way to much for what I want it for. Even here in the country you need to be careful with the influx of people moving in and what I want is something safe or safer around the cattle and barn. Thanks
    This won't answer your question but just a comment on a safe rifle.

If noise isn't big issue then probably my safest gun is my 22-250 with 44 grain thin skinned hollow points. Those fast little bullets' will usually blow up just hitting a big blade of grass and seldom ricochet off of anything.

I am a Forum User
    I love my 17wsm, very accurate and no recoil

MGO Member
    Have the full battery of varmint rifles for Dog Towns (out the window of the truck too way,way out) Ammo is easy to find where I've been looking and priced with in reason. Out west the rule of thumb is if the grass is moving leave the 17 in the truck, yes I know about the HMR. Plan is "The Crow Raids" on the feeders need to stop and at times elevation can be a problem and the 15/17 gr bullets lose energy/velocity fast. Shots are in 50 yrd +- range and in certain places and conditions 17 Mach 2 fits the bill and for those who are thinking Air Rifles the quality one's are not cheap! Break barrel pellet guns are fun and I've owned a few but very few will be as accurate as a decent Savage or Marlin bolt rifle at distance.

MGO Member
    To get rid of pests and varmints I use .22 shorts. Work well out of revolvers and I have a couple of rifles that handle shorts.
    If things ever get back to "normal" shorts will be more reasonable then Mach 2.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

MGO Member
    Finding shorts has been hit and miss for a number of years, We use to use them in our witness protection/ barn removal program and had to switch to CCI Quiet. Spent most of the day looking for a new or used Mach 2 rifle, it's a lot easier finding a honest lawyer/politician!

You say you have other "Varmint" rifles on hand, have you considered using Trailboss in one and see what happens? I seem to recall hearing you can load a 22-250 to 22LR velocities with it. What it would do in the 223/22 Hornet might just be what you're looking for.
    Give them a call and ask, cant hurt.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast