Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

740 Remington 30-06

what would approx. value be on this rifle in nice shape/ burris scope?

In my opinion, These rifles can function extremely well,.. or really badly, Thus earning them the name "Jamb-o-matic"..... It starts with a slippery slope caused by poor maintenance. They like to run with a clean chamber and gas system, Unfortunately these areas are routinely missed with most attention given to the bore.
    It causes the bolt to chatter, and tares up the rail on the inside of the receiver, causing them to malfunction and FTF issues..... When looking at a 74,740,742 or 7400... Always inspect the rail on the inside of the receiver, directly across from the ejection port.... If you see any deformation of that rail. it usually has cycling problems....

Sorry about the long winded response,.. But with that said. I have bought them for $100-$150 bucks with known jamming or FTF problems, with obvious damage to the rail (I've repaired a lot of them over the years, not a easy job)...... On the other hand, ones that have been properly maintained, and cycle flawlessly usually fetch $350.-$450. in my area...

Again, sorry for the detailed response,.. But with these rifles there a variables to consider when figuring value... Hope this helps.

I am a Forum User
    ^^^^^AGREE^^^^^^ My brother had 740 at deer camp and missed the "buck of a lifetime" bc/ of that rifle jamming. Simply a problematic action design. I wouldn't give a nickle for one......

MGO Member
    The model 740 was made from 1955 to 1959, and had a steel receiver. They are not prone to the problems of the later 742 with aluminum receivers.
    Condition, as always, dictates value.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.