Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Viability of a "Backpack" Gun

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I think of this very similarly to a "truck gun": something you carry off person that is larger/provides more firepower than your IWB carry pistol or can easily be deployed from a vehicle. Things to consider:
    -A small AR folder be it in 9mm or 5.56 is almost certainly going to provide a better platform than a handgun and most people can't fit an AR folder in their waist band
    -What is the chance you'll actually end up in a situation where you both would need to go to a larger firearm AND would have the time to deploy it?
    -Is carrying a firearm off person just a fundamentally bad idea?
    -I could see if you were traveling in a vehicle for an extended time how it would be much more comfortable to have something in a backpack next to you or behind your seat as opposed to in your waistband that may be less accessible while belted into a seat

I don't have any skin in this game, don't have a setup for this and don't know if I have much reason for one, but I've thought about it quite a bit.
    MGO Member
    Ragnarok Arms, LLC in Saline, MI- Type 1 FFL
    www.ragnarokarms.com

I am a Forum User
    "traveling in a vehicle for an extended time how it would be much more comfortable to have something in a backpack next to you or behind your seat "

at least in Mi., as I understand the law in this state, if you had a firearm inside a vehicle, you need a CPL..
    not sure how a long gun would apply, but believe they"re supposed to be carried in the trunk or bed,
    where vehicle occupants cannot get immediate access.

this is my understanding of thge law, but admit I could be wrong.
    Pretty sure someone will clarify this more descriptively.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    "traveling in a vehicle for an extended time how it would be much more comfortable to have something in a backpack next to you or behind your seat "

at least in Mi., as I understand the law in this state, if you had a firearm inside a vehicle, you need a CPL..
    not sure how a long gun would apply, but believe they"re supposed to be carried in the trunk or bed,
    where vehicle occupants cannot get immediate access.

this is my understanding of thge law, but admit I could be wrong.
    Pretty sure someone will clarify this more descriptively.
    CPL would be needed for a pistol.
    A rifle is illegal if loaded in a vehicle.
    Rifle MAY be carried in a vehicle if unloaded& cased or taken down.

CPL has nothing to do with long guns in any form for any reason.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    CPL would be needed for a pistol.
    A rifle is illegal if loaded in a vehicle.
    Rifle MAY be carried in a vehicle if unloaded& cased or taken down.

CPL has nothing to do with long guns in any form for any reason.
    See: 750.234d

MGO Member
    This is one of the central arguments made in support of the AR pistol. If you want one and see a tactical niche for it in your life, go for it. Off-body carry presents certain trade offs, obviously, but if those trade offs balance out in a way that makes sense, knock yourself out.

I don’t see a lot of uses for this in my life, but other people’s situations may be different. I get the impression that for many folks this line of inquiry feeds off a hero complex sort of storyline where they suit up, charge into battle, and save the day. This seems fraught with risk in today’s social and political climate. Lots of downside, not a lot of upside. But hey, if another Westgate Mall happens, right?

That said, there are certainly situations where someone might need to unass a vehicle with more than a j-frame. It is a matter of balancing risk.
    Last edited by Corsten; 02-18-2021 at 12:51 PM.

MGO Member
    AR pistol.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I am a Forum User
    Are we talkin about a Bug Out platform here Castro or something to use while Back Packing while hunting?

I am a Forum User
    I’ve thought about this before as well. I would think something that had a folding stock native to the design may be a better choice to eliminate another variable.

If I was going smaller, like pistol sized rifle, I’d look at a Draco, or something like that. Better performance out of a short barrel, and a smaller footprint.
    Although I’m pretty sure a folding stock AK like a 104/105/106/107 needs to be registered in MI as a pistol due to OAL. Making it eligible for loaded car carry.

I’m not a lawyer, so this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. Still new to MI and the weird pistol laws.

I am a Forum User
    Pistol would still need a cpl to be hidden in a back pack as it would still be concealed.

Something like this?
    https://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-...-xxxx-xxxx.htm
    A take down pistol caliber rifle.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast